Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

MikeR wrote:Margo

Thanks for your response. I went through every script I have looking for differences and alterations, even if it was just some dialogue. I found that Brian Clemens' scripts were filmed almost word for word, but others such as Philip Levene's Never, Never Say Die had a couple of sequences (not just scenes) missing from the shooting script.

There appears to have been some rewriting done as the episode was undergoing principal photography.
I was really disappointed when I saw Never Never Say Die in that it deviated so much from the synopsis that Dave Rogers had in The Complete Avengers book.

I agree about the photos, MRotten

Normally I only go with Avengers books if they have pictures as I'm a visual person (I loved Macnee's Avengers and Me) but your book, Mike, is so captivating in the details that it's not an issue for me.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Darren wrote:
MikeR wrote:Margo

Thanks for your response. I went through every script I have looking for differences and alterations, even if it was just some dialogue. I found that Brian Clemens' scripts were filmed almost word for word, but others such as Philip Levene's Never, Never Say Die had a couple of sequences (not just scenes) missing from the shooting script.

There appears to have been some rewriting done as the episode was undergoing principal photography.
I was really disappointed when I saw Never Never Say Die in that it deviated so much from the synopsis that Dave Rogers had in The Complete Avengers book.

I agree about the photos, MRotten

Normally I only go with Avengers books if they have pictures as I'm a visual person (I loved Macnee's Avengers and Me) but your book, Mike, is so captivating in the details that it's not an issue for me.
Darren

Having read through Levene's shooting script for Never Never Say Die, I think the reason it was altered was because if it had been filmed as written, it would have between five or ten minutes too long.
Last edited by MikeR on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Each time I'm looking for a snippet of info for writing purposes I pick this book up, thinking it might not be in there...but it nearly always is. A fantastic companion to the series.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Rodders wrote:Each time I'm looking for a snippet of info for writing purposes I pick this book up, thinking it might not be in there...but it nearly always is. A fantastic companion to the series.
Rodders

Many thanks for the kind words regarding Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots and I'm obviously extremely pleased that people are finding the book so enthrawling.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Hi Mike,
When did the word master mind first come about -what episode? I could not find it.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Margo

I don’t know the first time that phrase master mind was used in the series. In Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots I first used the phrase when describing the character Sir Bruno Laker in The Grandeur that was Rome, but it wasn’t used in the actual episode. Obviously Robert Banks Stewart’s screenplay The Master Minds does look like the favourite.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I've finally got round to buying this book, which arrived this week. This is the amazon version with 760 pages. Mike, does this differ in any way to the Telos first edition? This looks crammed with a lot of well researched information and will probably take forever to read! Looking forward to it. :D
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MRotten wrote:I actually like the fact that the book has no photographs. I am thoroughly enjoying reading it. I'm really not much of a reader, but if it's The Avengers, I'm totally enthralled.

same here....ditto !
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Re: Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots: The Ultimate Avengers Book

Post by MikeR »

cyberrich wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:42 pm I've finally got round to buying this book, which arrived this week. This is the amazon version with 760 pages. Mike, does this differ in any way to the Telos first edition? This looks crammed with a lot of well researched information and will probably take forever to read! Looking forward to it. :D
Hi cyberrich

Sorry to take three years to reply. I obviously need to look in here much more frequently. Yes, the first edition by Telos Books also had 760 pages.