Post by Rhonda »

4 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

7/10

Soo Choy. He's the main issue with this episode. Terry Wood has an imposing build but is clearly not Chinese. It really doesn't help that he's dubbed with a voice that, though threatening, doesn't fit him. Since he was part of the cast and had a long history of voices, I reckon it was Robert Rietty voice. He's a rather laughable character as he's so serious.

Another issue is where is the episode supposed to be set?

But the meat of the episode is the leads. they work so well together, using their ingenuity to outwit the baddies. And it's got a great Johnson score.

Flawed but fun if you're in the right mood.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Trap?

Trash.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Not classic TNA, but by no means as bad as some people make out. 5/10 from me. Rich.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Yes agree with Darren. It has the makings of a good episode. Just without a villain. Soo Choy almost comes across comedic. That's the way I took it. This Chinese dude who is obviously caucasian with the dubbed voice.

Who was the casting director or consultant?
Anybody know what went wrong here?

In any case this is an example of a plot that's not too bad. Lots of good action scenes. TNA landing a plane. All great. But one fundamental flaw that makes the episode look almost like a parody rather than great espionage and intrigue.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

What can I say?

I had read a lot of previous comments but watched with an open mind. If anything I was more ready to find something good in this episode. But I couldn't. Anti-clockwise said it, it is a parody. I felt I was watching a very bad, very long Benny Hill sketch.

Mrs. NickP, who knew nothing about it, said when it had finished "that was rubbish wasn't it?".

I've scored it 1 for the opening scene ... and because there is no 0 option.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

NickP wrote:1.

What can I say?

I had read a lot of previous comments but watched with an open mind. If anything I was more ready to find something good in this episode. But I couldn't. Anti-clockwise said it, it is a parody. I felt I was watching a very bad, very long Benny Hill sketch.
Benny Hill doesn't deserve that!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

This is the episode that almost unanimously shared by everyone as one of the worst in the second season. Do I agree? Definitely.
The episode may still intrigue until the Avengers do not fall into the territory of Soo Choy.
Good scene with a courier in the parking lot. I think it's best scene. And the humor is quite good:
(in Russian soundtrack) "George Washington?". "He is not like George Washington". "You know what I mean".
However, I do not liked the Terry Wood's play in episode The Three-Handed Game and he again in TNA - here. My bewilderment, ladies and gentlemens. :? Well, he plays as well as in the aforementioned episode. Dry, with a straight face, without a soul, and most importantly - do not even attempt to portray the Japanese. How many paid Terry Wood for it? I think a little bit.
Nice to see Ferdy Mayne, but unfortunately it serves as a background (sadly).
So, if the first half of the episode is sustained in the middle way, then it starts as kindergarten, parody, and embarrassment on the faces of the fans.
Horror is already in the plane's cabin. I have the feeling that the characters are sitting in the waiting room, not in the plane - I say about first half of the scene. :lol:
Further, it is not clear exactly why the Japanese go out fully of the control room - he should was to know that he will pull out of the plane. Is he suicidal? Idiot? Or he knew that will be punished if he does not take the heroes to Soo Choy? At first glance, too, can be said about the heroes (suicide) when they open the door of the plane. But in reality, it was a risky plan to force the Japanese to land the plane. They did not know that the Japanese go out fully of the control room, logically, he should was to land the plane as heroes like.
The plane crashes and surprise - all are alive :shock: (except Japanese - though he can also to survive, we just did not know. :lol: ).
Next nightmare - walking around and around the studio (around three pines). Boring work of the operator and silly scenario moves with dialogues.
It's a real shame. It's even bad as a parody. :oops:
Another thing that no one mentioned in the review of this episode - quite unsuitable music in the second half of Trap. She puts the final nail in the coffin. Why did this music? This is just terribly. :cry:

Summary.
The average first half and awful - the second.
3 of 10
Denis
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Frankymole wrote: Benny Hill doesn't deserve that!
True, I hadn't meant to be disparaging to Mr. Hill; but even his greatest fan would find it difficult to tolerate a single sketch that lasts an hour. As well as the stereotyped pantomime Chinese villain it seemed that some of the action had been speeded up, e.g. the scenes with the soldiers setting the trap in the wood, which I found made parallels with Benny Hill unavoidable. They might as well have ended the episode with the cast chasing Soo Choy around the woods to tune of Yakety Sax, that would have improved my score.
denisrigg wrote: Good scene with a courier in the parking lot. I think it's best scene. And the humor is quite good:
(in Russian soundtrack) "George Washington?". "He is not like George Washington". "You know what I mean".
I'm not sure how this translated into Russian but in the original English that scene continued to the best exchange in the show.
"Perhaps it's on his mother's side"
"I always was on his mother's side."