Last Watched : House of Cards
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

10/10 from me. Top 3 TNA episode.
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

As I posted elsewhere, I am watching the current ITV4 run and seeing these for the first time since their original broadcast. Now I've watched a few I can start rating them.

I'll give this 5 and make this the benchmark for the others! It was good enough to persuade me to carry on watching the rest. The character interaction was spot-on from the start. I found some of the extended castle interiors made it feel a bit claustrophobic, which wasn't helped by the murky quality of the print.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

This is quite a good start to the new series. The theme of 'all baddies are Nazis creating a Fourth Reich' was imo already quite tired by the late 1970s (even more so when Dr Who fell back on the idea in Silver Nemesis), but the setting of the Scottish castle and the Hammer Horror parody element of uncanny experiments being carried out by Peter Cushing made it work reasonably well. The mania of the Nazi cult was over the top however, even for parody and could (should imo) have been toned down a little. The performances were good, and there were some notable guest stars from the worlds of Dr Who with Frank Gatliff (Monster of Peladon) and Trevor Baxter (Talons of Weng-Chiang) joining the movie Doctor himself, cinema legend Peter Cushing, and a Blake's 7 actor with Derek Farr. The leads were not quite on top form yet however. Patrick Macnee slips into the role of Steed apparently effortlessly, and Gareth Hunt was right on the money straight away as Mike. But Joanna Lumley was a quite stiff and unnatural in her delivery in some scenes, mostly on location, and would take until another episode to warm up fully in the role. Perhaps as a result of this, the relationship between the three leading characters wasn't on quite the high level that it would become later on. As an aside, Gareth was another former Dr Who guest actor as he was in Planet of the Spiders. Overall, an episode with some things that worked very well and others that misfired slightly. 7/10
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

It's always an interesting aside to remember what other programmes some of the cast have been in. Derek Farr is also in Star Maidens. I liked how Steed, Gambit and Purdey were introduced in 'The Eagles Nest' and I have to smile at her ballet dancing. I thought Purdey started off pretty well as she continued actually; she gets cheekier later in the series! It also has a great setting but the World War Two link is not my favourite entertainment. There are so many action TV episodes from the 60's and 70's either about legacies of WW2 or the Cold War that I just accept it as a thing of the times and enjoy watching the characters (It's still a choice for a setting. New Doctor Who did one of course with the Ice Warrior Skaldak and the setting was just right for that strong character I thought).
Ron
Last Watched : House of Cards
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Like the way they were introduced also...particularly Purdey (and Steed who looks her up and down in her green bodysuit...is he checking out how she compares to her predecessors ?) Rhonda says '... and I have to smile at her ballet dancing ' Does this mean you were very impressed by Purdey's athleticism and execution of her ballerina's skills or other...? I certainly love the way she drops her wraparound and throws a snoot look before 'dancing' into action :lol: Joanna Lumley shows clearly the kind of shape she's in, and her hairstyle was perfect ! Looking Sleek, Strong , Sexy, Superfit , with Matchless Fighting Skills and a certain Hauteur to boot ...THE ULTIMATE AVENGER GIRL :wink: A good start to the series ...
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

I just recently rewatched this one and it's by far one of my favorite TNA episodes. Peter Cushing (who's always enjoyable to watch), some nice repartee between the leads, and the crazy plotline that's far more Avenger-ish than many of the New Avengers episodes. What's more, for the first and only time, I don't want to punch Gambit in the face.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Lucky Gambit. He survived the first round :lol: Joanna Lumley was quite stiff and unnatural in her delivery in some scenes says Spaceship Dispatcher
I'd hate to be up against her in full flow, for listening to the sounds of her final fight, these guys were obviously being kicked by a woman with by far the most powerful legs of any of the Avenger Girls :lol: Nothing unnatural about the way she looks in her catsuit :) Is there any woman who could look as impressive as Purdey in a catsuit or leotard :mrgreen:
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

My first consideration when reviewing the performances in a drama is how the actor conveys the emotions and motivations of the character. How do they feel about the situation, other characters around them, actions they have to take; and more importantly why they feel the way they do. Fighting and catsuits don't especially interest me, sorry.