No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Frankymole wrote:It is a 10/10, sure-fire four bowler winner for me. One of the very best Avengers episodes and so one of the very best episodes of any television shows ever made. Definitely a highlight of the Tara era, along with "Fog". Even if a lighthouse is the opposite of Fog :)

Brilliantly directed and very tense, with some very good action set pieces and an intriguing premise.

The only downside for some may be that Steed isn't in it much, but that allows the strength of Tara to be established (the foolish who go on about her fighting style being "a brick in a handbag" should watch the fight with the ginger giant in this, and anyone who can't cope with her being chloroformed in some episodes - due to the double-banking of episodes' production, where one or other lead actor had to be taken out of the action - can take solace in the way that most Avengers girls on their own are portrayed as "victims", tied up or falling to pieces a bit (House That Jack Built, Don't Look Behind You, The Joker). Tara totally owns the situation here, even when run off a cliff - it just makes her more determined!

This is one of the best "gateway" episodes to start watching the series as it shows just how good it can be, and how strong and effective the female lead can be, essentially the heroine in an action-adventure thriller where other shows of the 60s (and 70s, and 80s, and 90s, and 00s, and...) invariably have a man in that role.
Always thought Tara was physically stronger and more athletic than Emma Peel or Purdey !
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

shaunodan wrote:
Frankymole wrote:It is a 10/10, sure-fire four bowler winner for me. One of the very best Avengers episodes and so one of the very best episodes of any television shows ever made. Definitely a highlight of the Tara era, along with "Fog". Even if a lighthouse is the opposite of Fog :)

Brilliantly directed and very tense, with some very good action set pieces and an intriguing premise.

The only downside for some may be that Steed isn't in it much, but that allows the strength of Tara to be established (the foolish who go on about her fighting style being "a brick in a handbag" should watch the fight with the ginger giant in this, and anyone who can't cope with her being chloroformed in some episodes - due to the double-banking of episodes' production, where one or other lead actor had to be taken out of the action - can take solace in the way that most Avengers girls on their own are portrayed as "victims", tied up or falling to pieces a bit (House That Jack Built, Don't Look Behind You, The Joker). Tara totally owns the situation here, even when run off a cliff - it just makes her more determined!

This is one of the best "gateway" episodes to start watching the series as it shows just how good it can be, and how strong and effective the female lead can be, essentially the heroine in an action-adventure thriller where other shows of the 60s (and 70s, and 80s, and 90s, and 00s, and...) invariably have a man in that role.
`'Tara totally owns the situation...' Physically, possibly the most impressive Avenger Girl :?: Cathy Gale's judo skills were very impressive ...a very different fighting style to Purdey's kickboxing techniques :!: Certainly between Cathy and Purdey for title of Avenger Girl with Best Fighting Skills :?:
Last edited by shaunodan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

shaunodan wrote:

`'Tara totally owns the situation...' Physically, possibly the most impressive Avenger Girl :?:
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Unsurprisingly my least favorite episode, eliminating the only reason I have to watch Season 6: Steed and his sideburns.

The critique that the other Avengers women fall apart in various episodes is absolutely true, but then you have women that are otherwise in command of themselves. Here we have an Avengers woman who's rarely in command of herself getting a chance for a backbone. And it is excellent to see Tara being proactive and very competent. At the same time I think it actually points up the relative weakness of the character in other episodes.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

BBC Radio 5live's guest Glenn Greenwald has just confirmed that it's now possible to train a laser on a plastic cup in an office and listen to the conversations. I've always loved this episode and it now gets a boost in credibility!
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

This is the best Tara episode. Gave it a nine.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've written a love letter to it in Rodney's new book "Anticlockwise". I agree it is the best Tara episode. It's the one I enjoy the most, by far.
Rhonda wrote:BBC Radio 5live's guest Glenn Greenwald has just confirmed that it's now possible to train a laser on a plastic cup in an office and listen to the conversations. I've always loved this episode and it now gets a boost in credibility!
Interestingly, such eavesdropping techniques go back to the 1940s... I mention this a bit in my chapter, too :) Here's some history on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Frankymole wrote:...
Rhonda wrote:BBC Radio 5live's guest Glenn Greenwald has just confirmed that it's now possible to train a laser on a plastic cup in an office and listen to the conversations. I've always loved this episode and it now gets a boost in credibility!
Interestingly, such eavesdropping techniques go back to the 1940s... I mention this a bit in my chapter, too :) Here's some history on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone
Didn't know it goes that far back, and I see that rippled glass foils it!

I checked my notes and gave this episode 10 (the other Tara one with 10 being Bizarre). Will put my votes in all the Tara poll threads while I'm at it.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

Tip top - Eight episodes in and one of the finest episodes of the series.

Tara completely eclipses the other Avengers girls here and is superb - as said in previous posts, the fight with the burly Red Head is amazing. One of the best in the entire series, and you can clearly see that most of it is done by Miss Thorson herself!

The direction is very good indeed, most of the cliff scenes giving me twinges of vertigo (I can forgive the not very effective dummy falling). Good continuity where Tara is still sopping wet when she reaches the lighthouse.

As always great locations - I notice that nowadays, Start Point Lighthouse is open for visitors and has a guest cottage or two - one for future plans I think.

A simply wonderful programme.

10 out of 10
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

Watched All Done With Mirrors last night on TE - first time I'd seen it in years and I was immensely impressed. It was like seeing a completely new Tara King series: her character was clever and astute. Her appearance and wardrobe was so much better - especially with her own hair - no wigs.

Loved Steed's reaction to the voluptuous Rhonda in swimsuit. Maybe they should have expanded her role?

Linda Thorson's acting was relaxed, confident and self assured. Her physicality performing judo, karate and kung-fu was a revelation. Easily the finest acting and athletic performance I've seen from her.

The screenplay was excellent - inventive, clever and witty dialogue and a truly spectacular extended martial arts fight scene from director and choreographer Ray Austin to rival Mrs Gale and Mrs Peel at their best.

I'd forgotten just how very good Mirrors is. Mysterious lighthouses invariably make for good story-lines.
This must be arguably the best Tara episode of the series?

Thoroughly enjoyable - I must watch it again :)
James/Mrs Emma Peel