6.13 - Game

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Game.

Written by Richard Harris
Directed by Robert Fuest
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Terrific episode :!: Always in my top 3 Tara episodes (has been my actual fave in the past. My faves change order now and again!). The set pieces portraying the various deadly games are brilliantly staged. The climactic Super Secret Agent featuring Tara in the hourglass is one of the best scenes in The Avenger's history. Very memorable, and very exciting. Visually a stunning episode, with a terrific script and plot to match. 10/10! Rich.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Maybe one of the best episodes of the Tara King era! It holds together remarkably well for such a wild plot, and the games of the title are both varied and recognisable enough for viewers to relate to what they see. The cast is very strong again with legendary master of the art of playing villains Peter Jeffrey joined by Anthony Newlands and Alex Scott, the latter being one of those actors that you see in episodes of almost all 1960s cult tv adventure shows but who never had the leading role. Visually this episode has the balance about right too, with designs that are bright and colourful without being over the top. And the subject of great design brings us to Linda Thorson's amazing wardrobe for this episode, with several costume changes and every one of them stunning! Some very memorable acting, good set and costume design, a story that is sensible and fun at the same time, plot logic that adds up, and the narrative device of the games themselves all make this a 9/10 episode imo!
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Watching this one again, I didn't have terribly strong feelings one way or the other. Peter Jeffrey is always a joy to watch - villain or not - and the deaths are very smartly written. It does have that "one death, two death, three death" sort of structure that happens in both Seasons 5 and 6 and feels a little repetitive. The end game was great, and I do enjoy Steed the Hero. But I didn't find it particularly rivetting as a piece of television, nor did the performances pop for me. The relationships seems just a bit lackadaisical, when they're not strained.

I would like to know, at some point, what people think are the best Season 6 episodes. The ones I've watched recently simply have not moved me.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

7 from me. Like the camera shots.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

A joy of an episode. I always like Robert Fuest's Directorial offerings and this one is a goody.

Great supporting cast, regulars on top form, wonderful camerawork - what more is there to say? Plus a neat resolution.

I was re-watching this one with my sixteen year old Daughter the other day, she asked if this was what the 'Swinging Sixties' was all about! I replied, her guess was as good as mine.

10 out of 10 out of 10
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Well you know what they say, if you can remember the Sixties you weren't really there!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Brigadier Q
Nutshell

Post by Brigadier Q »

Frankymole - that is true - I was there, but not at an age to know about all of that stuff!

It's like the late, great John Junkin said: "'The Permissive Society'. When I was too young to know what it was all about, it was all about. Now I know what it's all about, where is it???"

BTW - I see you have Start Point Lighthouse as your Icon - have you visited (And shouldn't I be saying this in the thread for "All Done With Mirrors"?)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I haven't visited yet, Brigadier, but I intend to! I've been to a few lighthouses over the years (always a nice picturesque addition to a day out), but not that one. I think a viewing of the Tara story in my youth is why I like them - that or the Dr Who story set in one.

When I was writing the chapter on All Done With Mirrors for Rodney's "Anticlockwise" book I did a bit of research about the place (fascinating history) and am rather fond of it - an admirer from afar. But not too afar, so when the weather gets a bit better I'll toddle down there. :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

The location used as the school that Steed and Tara visit to see Professor Witney was in the paper today.

Heath Hall http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/prop ... y-35m.html