7%
4%
No votes

Total votes: 28

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by peabody »

I couldn't agree more, anti-clockwise. :D

Haven't seen this episode in a while, but will watch it tonight. Reading your thoughts and ideas in advance only heightens the experience of the episode itself.
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by mariocki »

anti-clockwise wrote:This was a fantastic idea to review the episodes. I have a lot of catching up to do so I have not seen this episode before. I am thrilled to hear everyone liked this so much and that Geoff got to interview one of the best villains ever. Wish that interview was on bonus material but alas Geoff has it What year did you interview him Geoff? And how did it come about? How did you find him anyway?
He was at an event I was attending last year and I thought I might never get another opportunity to speak to him so myself and a friend of mine approached him and he agreed to speak to us. I actually had Take-Over on my iPad so I played it while we spoke to him, rather like a DVD commentary. It wasn't just about The Avengers though as we also asked him about some of his other work, particularly his Charles Vine films. As I said before, he kept stopping mid sentence to look at himself onscreen and was very impressed with the episode in general. A really nice guy. The same weekend I got to interview someone I'd wanted to speak to for a long time, John Glen, who was an editor on Man In A Suitcase and got his first directorial role on the show. Of course he later went on to direct more Bond films than anyone else.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

mariocki wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:This was a fantastic idea to review the episodes. I have a lot of catching up to do so I have not seen this episode before. I am thrilled to hear everyone liked this so much and that Geoff got to interview one of the best villains ever. Wish that interview was on bonus material but alas Geoff has it What year did you interview him Geoff? And how did it come about? How did you find him anyway?
He was at an event I was attending last year and I thought I might never get another opportunity to speak to him so myself and a friend of mine approached him and he agreed to speak to us. I actually had Take-Over on my iPad so I played it while we spoke to him, rather like a DVD commentary. It wasn't just about The Avengers though as we also asked him about some of his other work, particularly his Charles Vine films. As I said before, he kept stopping mid sentence to look at himself onscreen and was very impressed with the episode in general. A really nice guy. The same weekend I got to interview someone I'd wanted to speak to for a long time, John Glen, who was an editor on Man In A Suitcase and got his first directorial role on the show. Of course he later went on to direct more Bond films than anyone else.
That is so cool Geoff. If I may ask what kind of events were you at? I would have no idea where to find them. But truly wonderful to know about your experience and his reaction since I am thinking he was probably not on any bonus material-if there is any for TNA :?:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

It was an autograph signing event with Martin Landau being one of the main stars. Here's a picture of Fenton-Grenville himself:

It was a good weekend with Martin playing to the cameras on a fan built Space 1999 set at one point. Another one of the good guys.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Martin Landau's an acting hero. I loved him as the black hat Western tough in an early Twilight Zone episode (the one with the supernatural snake oil salesman), right through to his Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood.

That's a fine pic of Mr Adams. He's still got the imposing look!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

nice pic Geoff. He looks very distinguished.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Love the Tom Adams story. Wish I'd been there! I did go to a similar event in 1995 attended by Linda Thorson, as well as others with an Avengers connection such as Jane Merrow, Annette Andre, Ed Bishop, Carol Cleveland, and several others. As for Take over, I'll give it 8/10. Great episode with surprisingly realistic acting for this type of genre. The most sinister episode of them all! Rich.
widescream
Thingumajig

Post by widescream »

mariocki wrote:He did remember trying it on with Hilary Pritchard though and was given very short shrift apparently :D
Silly woman. :roll: Tom Adams looks very good for his age even now, but back in circa 1969 , how could anyone refuse :?: I know I wouldn't have...

I think he was a good actor with good screen presence and should have been more successful that he was.

I absolutely love Take Over and wish more Avengers episodes were this sinister.

Friends of mine dislike the Avengers as they think it is too camp (they obliviously are not familiar with the Cathy Gale era) and they wold be swayed if more episodes were in this style.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I think a lot of people in the 70s saw The Avengers as too camp, and the 60s in general as too camp, which is why The New Avengers was a lot "grittier". Then people in the 1980s saw that as too camp due to all the flared trousers.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mariocki

Post by mariocki »

Ol' Fenton-Grenville seems to have been doing quite well for himself in recent years with an interesting sideline in commercials, so for the benefit of those outside the UK, here are a selection:

From 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefSQtxc ... ata_player

From 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6k85Tj ... ata_player

From 1994:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6k85Tj ... ata_player
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."