No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.01 - The Murder Market

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate The Murder Market, produced Monday 23rd November 1964 to Friday 4th December 1964 (Abandoned original) and c. Thursday 10th December 1964 to Friday 18th December 1965 (Remounted scenes).

Teleplay by Tony Williamson
Directed by Peter Graham Scott
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's a strange episode this one. Diana Rigg is so green and just very un-Emma Peel, quite frosty and cold. Thankfully of course she soon warmed up into the Emma we know and love.

There are some good scenes with the visits to the marriage bureau. The coffin scenes are fun with Emma getting a bit tipsy from all the champagne Steed supplied.

The pacing is quite off, sometimes it has very snappy scenes and then scenes that just go on for ages.

It's not an episode that I rush to see but I don't dislike it.

6/10
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Wonderful episode :!: Diana's debut performance already looking assured at this early stage. No wonder she won the role. Must have been panic stations when Honor left. The Avengers were very lucky to have found Diana, and I don't use the word lucky lightly. As brilliant as the show is, Diana's contribution elevated it into something else entirely. This is much more than just a TV episode. It looks and feels like a British cinema release from the mid 60's. Very witty script. Very memorable scenes in this one, particularly Steed at the photographers, and especially Emma's scene with the champagne and coffin. :lol: 10/10. Nothing less will do for this gem. Rich.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

underrated episode with a clever, borrowed plot - Strangers on a Train - hitwoman, rather than hitman, great lines such as Mrs Peel demanding 'stamina' off her future partner, not to mention the coffin.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

I like this episode, although it bears palpable imprint Cathy Gale era. A few funny scenes remain in memory forever and these scenes describe a new style of Avengers - for example, a scene in a photo studio, wonderful composition, taken as a casual improvisation, if the crew accidentally visiting the photographer - is a great talent and energy that captures by the depth of what is happening (I guess that this scene was filmed in the days of Elizabeth Shepherd, as the material is very different directorial work. Wolf Rilla?). Scenes in the wedding bureau: detailed scenery, humor and plot twists. Again directorial effort is made so that you forget that these scenes are a kind of theatre stage. Scene of Funeral Mrs. Peel. Oh, why I remember Hamlet? :lol: The tragedy mixed with the idea that Steed will dig from the ground the coffin with Emma Peel. The intensity of emotions to the viewer. This does not happen, that nevertheless does not interfere with the miraculous resurrection of the heroine.
Here it is a wonderful magic The Avengers (do not forget about Emma Peel and tuba, classic final fight and tag).
I applaud!
Mrs. Peel, I come back here from afar.

Color photos:

Last edited by denis rigg on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Love the pics once again Denis! brilliant.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Topaze
Nutshell

Post by Topaze »

Magnifique!
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Sam's essay on it demonstrates what a clever, sexually-explosive episode this is.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 8
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I've just started rewatching series 4 and rating the few I hadn't rated previously.

8/10.