No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 27

peabody
Have Fingers... Will Type!

4.26 - Honey for the Prince

Post by peabody »

Discuss, review and rate Honey for the Prince, produced mid February 1966 to Friday 4th March 1966.

Teleplay by Brian Clemens
Directed by James Hill
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I gave 7
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Honey For the Prince is a wonderful episode, although to some modern eyes the harem sex set-up might not be approved.

But, it is really a light-hearted, interesting, fun, original episode. You have to praise the commitment of the Ministry agents! After being shot, instead of seeking medical care at a hospital, one instead chooses to go to Steed's flat, and instead die giving him some vague information. The Quite Quite Fantastic business is a unique Avengers creation and should be highly lauded. Fans bemusingly regret the death of B. Bumble, no doubt gone to join the well populated "Avengers Minor Character Death Section" of heaven.

Steed wins over Prince Ali by being a cricker "all-rounder," much to the dismay of a large vase. Emma's infamous dance (equal to her dress in "A Touch of Brimstone") got the ire of the censors. I love how Emma's delicate order "Steed!" has him immediately forgetting all the harem women to directly follow her.

I think it is pretty clear at the end--when Emma disappears below, knocks hard on the floor, only to have Steed join her out of the camera's view--that they have good old fashioned welcomed sex.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I've mixed thoughts on this one. Love Mr Bumble and the supporting sequences but the harem scenes leave me rather bored.
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

On the contrary, the harem scenes are among the good points of the episode. Nowadays, it would arouse inappropriate criticisms.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

I agree, Emma's exotic/erotic Dance of the Seven (or six) Veils is wonderful. The harem setup maybe un pc these days - yet is perfectly accurate. Emma as Salome is an entrancing vision.
James/Mrs Emma Peel
MaxRebo120
White Dwarf

Re: 4.26 - Honey for the Prince

Post by MaxRebo120 »

The Avengers is a giant pastiche of British culture, so you could surmise the whole Harem bit is just one of generic "Arabic" culture. But I can understand modern viewers finding it a bit uncomfortable (Mrs. Peel's dance is fun, though). On the plus side, Zia Mohyeddin is quite good. Makes me wish he was given a more serious part.

But aside from that, I just find the episode a bit too cutesy and excessive to really latch on to. B. Bumble and the Aladdin service are a lot of fun, but might have worked better in two separate episodes.