Essential Avengers magazines

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

denis wrote:If there are members, there are mostly on the French forum. We learnt the sad news of the death of Steed&Co's President last Monday.
I am very sorry to hear this news. My condolences to all who knew him. RIP. :(
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

It was her. Laure Sermini.
http://theavengers.fr/supplement/interv ... mini_1.htm
Thanks to her, some French fans visited all the Paris shooting places a few years ago (I was there). She met most of the stars of the series (including Patrick Macnee) and The Avengers was her passion.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Considering it was a general magazine made for wide public consumption, rather than the aficionado, the 68 page New Avengers TV Times Souveinir Extra is very good and quite an essential. I literally read my original copy to bits when I was a young 'un and absorbed every word. 40p very well spent. I bought a copy a few years ago off eBay for considerably more.

Because it was promoting The New Avengers it gets at least 50% if not more of the mag/book which is refreshing as TNA is often treated as an afterthought in some books (if not completely invisible altogether - mentioning no names... ahem ). There are still some photographs in here I've still never seen elsewhere else.

It even has a board game "Purdey ... high karate kick rips tights ... escapes 6 squares while gang gawps" which would delight at least a couple of you on here. :)

Apart from that, once you have all the Dave Rogers fanzines you're there. I still hope that someone will compile/reprint 'The Best of Stay Tuned' one day. And there are still unpublished interviews, I believe, including one of Julie Stevens which I'd still like to read.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

...while Gambit gawps, more likely! :P
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Anyway Purdey wore stockings not tights (passion-killers).
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I still hope that someone will compile/reprint 'The Best of Stay Tuned' one day. And there are still unpublished interviews, I believe, including one of Julie Stevens which I'd still like to read.
A best of Stay Tuned compilation would be great - I had no idea there were still unpublished interviews.

On a vaguely related point, a while ago I managed to acquire Vol 1 issue 7 of On Target. This included a two page comic strip entitled The Rat Trap. Does anyone know whether the strip continued in later issues?
Paul
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

denis wrote:It was her. Laure Sermini.
http://theavengers.fr/supplement/interv ... mini_1.htm
Thanks to her, some French fans visited all the Paris shooting places a few years ago (I was there). She met most of the stars of the series (including Patrick Macnee) and The Avengers was her passion.
That is very sad indeed. Another loss to the Avengers community. So sorry to hear that. :cry:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Considering it was a general magazine made for wide public consumption, rather than the aficionado, the 68 page New Avengers TV Times Souveinir Extra is very good and quite an essential. I literally read my original copy to bits when I was a young 'un and absorbed every word. 40p very well spent. I bought a copy a few years ago off eBay for considerably more.

Because it was promoting The New Avengers it gets at least 50% if not more of the mag/book which is refreshing as TNA is often treated as an afterthought in some books (if not completely invisible altogether - mentioning no names... ahem ). There are still some photographs in here I've still never seen elsewhere else.

It even has a board game "Purdey ... high karate kick rips tights ... escapes 6 squares while gang gawps" which would delight at least a couple of you on here. :)

Apart from that, once you have all the Dave Rogers fanzines you're there. I still hope that someone will compile/reprint 'The Best of Stay Tuned' one day. And there are still unpublished interviews, I believe, including one of Julie Stevens which I'd still like to read.
The TNA Souvenir Extra is a good one. It's very heavily into TNA because it was for promotional purposes, as you say, but it actually did a pretty good job of covering the whole spectrum of the show as opposed to just focussing on the later years, as some stuff in the press was wont to do. I think one of my favourite parts is the article by Ian Hendry about filming season one--it's a great little insight into the behind-the-scenes workings of that part of the show. The fact that it occurred to anyone to mention Dr. Keel, let alone track down Ian, spoke to some real effort on the part of the people who put it together. Maybe the fact that Steed was getting his first male partner in 14 years made them think it was important to highlight who got the ball rolling?

The board game is quite the thing--put together with nothing more than a ruler, coloured paper, a ballpoint, and someone's imagination. No photoshop required!

(Wouldn't Purdey's six-square advancement be offset by Gambit losing ground because he was too busy gawping? Or doing a little happy dance? Someone clearly had not thought the rules through. :lol: )

A "Best of Stay Tuned" would be brilliant. I had no idea there were unprinted interviews floating around. Where did you hear that? :?:
paulpdjh wrote:On a vaguely related point, a while ago I managed to acquire Vol 1 issue 7 of On Target. This included a two page comic strip entitled The Rat Trap. Does anyone know whether the strip continued in later issues?
It's been awhile since I read my old On Targets, but I'm struggling to remember the strip. Was it a reprint of one printed in TV Comic or the like, or a new one commissioned for the magazine?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm going from memory (not always reliable at the best of times) but I'm sure I read in one of the editorials that Dave Rogers had either secured or planned interviews with one or more of 'the back room boys' as he put it. I also remember Julie Steven's name being mentioned, but I'd have to go through them to be sure.

Reading through several of Dave Rogers' rambling editorials to get to one nugget of information is not always a comfortable or pleasurable experience so don't hold your breath on that one... :wink:

By the way, I didn't know her but I'm so saddened to read of the death of Laure Sermini. RIP.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Speed Six wrote:Timescreen and Action TV both carried features about The Avengers/New Avengers, though would have to check to see which issues.
I've got the Timescreen mag. Issue 13, Great colour cover of Steed and Emma. Not too much inside, 6 pages looking at Avengers locations. (I've also just bought The Avengers on location book, which is great).
Haven't got the Action TV mag yet. I think it's issue 8. What are the contents like :?: Rich.