Essential Avengers magazines

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Essential Avengers magazines

Post by cyberrich »

Do any of you have any magazines that feature The Avengers, that you think should be in every Avengers fan's collection. I'll list a few from my collection to start the ball rolling.

On Target/Stay Tuned(1983-1999) (Obviously!)
Meet the Avengers (1963, worth quite a bit!)
TV Times Souvenir (1976)

I have a few one offs.
Generation Series No12. (French mag with over half the pages, devoted to The Avengers)
Starburst No's 13,14, 67. (bought these yesterday in a charity shop for 25p each! :D Well worth looking out for.)

Does anyone have any of the following fanzines; En Guarde, With Umbrella charm and bowler newspaper, or Bizarre. Can you tell us anything about them :?: Or do you have any mags I haven't mentioned that are interesting :?:
Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I have quite a few fanzines, though how "essential" any of them are depends on where your interest lies. I'd say one of the most essential for all the fans of the series is the On Target Interview Special, since it has contributions from all the main players. I don't have "Meet the Avengers" (lucky you!), but I imagine it'd be a good one to have, too, as one of the earliest examples of a dedicated Avengers publication.

I have eight issues of With Umbrella, Charm, and Bowler, which I quite enjoyed. The newspaper format makes for a different read, and it had some fun stuff in it, like some fairly decent TNA fiction, and an interview with Sydney Newman (wasn't keen on TNA, kinda regretted never sticking a "created by" credit on the Avengers and Doctor Who). I have a couple of issues of Bizarre as well, which didn't do much for me one way or another.

I have a solitary issue of En Garde, which I loved just because it was a fanzine written during the original run of the show, and so is a bit like a little time capsule providing a snapshot of the Avengers fandom back in the day. The issue I have is from right around the time Diana announced she was leaving, and much of the issue alternates between shocked comments along the lines of "But...but why?" and "Is it true?" and speculation about whether or not it's a good thing that they'll be getting someone new. The fanzine is American, so you can really sense the palpable frustration of the fans at being on the wrong side of the pond to read the "latest" news about this development in the press, and being forced to wait and see what'll happen with trepidation. It's so easy to look these things up on the 'net nowadays, but these guys had to hope the local press would eventually print something. I wasn't around when the show aired the first time around, so I really enjoyed having an insight into what it was like to watch the show without having a handy series guide that gave you all the background and let you know when one partner left and the next one came in. The Avengers/Patrick Macnee Fan Network Newsletter is good for this, too, only for TNA since it's published in the '70s. I have a handful of issues of it, and there are great little letters with people worrying about whether or not that CBS deal to produce season 3 is going to come through (a bit painful to read when you know how it all turned out), and pointing out that after Obsession and Dead Men are Dangerous, there should really be a "Gambit episode" to balance things out a little. (Interestingly, American fans, at least, seemed to quite like having Gambit in the mix, which makes me wonder what happened in the intervening twenty or so years, so by the time I entered the fandom, he was being bashed left, right, and centre?) Anyway, I enjoyed those for the historical value. But in terms of general series interest, the On Target/Stay Tuned runs are still your best bet.
Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I have some ON TARGETS and STAY TUNEDs. They're excellent in terms of quality (rare information and exclusive photos from the set).
I was also lucky to get some fanzines from the French fan club, 'Steed&Co'.
By the way, are there some members who joined this fan club in the 90s ? The English called it 'Friends of Steed'. :)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: I don't have "Meet the Avengers" (lucky you!), but I imagine it'd be a good one to have, too, as one of the earliest examples of a dedicated Avengers publication.

I have eight issues of With Umbrella, Charm, and Bowler, which I quite enjoyed. I have a solitary issue of En Garde
Yes, Meet the Avengers is my fave magazine. It was published the year before I was born, so is a genuine antique IMHO! :lol: Lots of nice behind the scenes photos of Pat and Honor.
Lucky you as well though! I'd love to have the With Umbrella and En Guarde mags. I'll have to keep checking ebay! This is where I bought Meet TA a few years ago for £23. A bargain! :) Rich.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

JohnSteedFr wrote:I was also lucky to get some fanzines from the French fan club, 'Steed&Co'.
By the way, are there some members who joined this fan club in the 90s ? The English called it 'Friends of Steed'. :)
No, never heard of this one. I've heard of a French Avengers mag called Chapeau melon...I think there were about 30 issues. Wasn't this printed by Canal during the 00's :?: Does anyone have these :?: Are they worth looking out for :?: Rich.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

cyberrich wrote:Yes, Meet the Avengers is my fave magazine. It was published the year before I was born, so is a genuine antique IMHO! :lol: Lots of nice behind the scenes photos of Pat and Honor.
Lucky you as well though! I'd love to have the With Umbrella and En Guarde mags. I'll have to keep checking ebay! This is where I bought Meet TA a few years ago for £23. A bargain! :) Rich.
I've seen "Meet the Avengers" on ebay several times, but it always went for much more money than my budget would allow. £23 is indeed a real bargain! Doubly lucky you! :) But it sounds like it's worth it, a really attractively put together magazine.

I picked up all my fanzines from ebay as well--I don't know where else to find them, to be honest. I've been lucky sometimes as people often sell them as lots--I got all the WUCB issues in one lot, and the Bizarre issues came together. I think I've seen one En Guarde issue since I bought mine--it's so old that I don't think many examples survived. I wish I could source more Avengers/Patrick Fan Network issues--they don't pop up much either. Like you, I live in eternal ebay hope. :wink:

Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

Timescreen and Action TV both carried features about The Avengers/New Avengers, though would have to check to see which issues.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

cyberrich wrote:
No, never heard of this one. I've heard of a French Avengers mag called Chapeau melon...I think there were about 30 issues. Wasn't this printed by Canal during the 00's :?: Does anyone have these :?: Are they worth looking out for :?: Rich.
Oh, you must be talking about these files sold with the DVDs (Press edition). Well, each magazine dealt with the show's history (from 1961 to 1969, the 70s came later, for the second release). The photographs inside were the ones we all know and there was a section dedicated to the 1960s (famous singers in those days, prominent figures)
:)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

JohnSteedFr wrote:I have some ON TARGETS and STAY TUNEDs. They're excellent in terms of quality (rare information and exclusive photos from the set).
I was also lucky to get some fanzines from the French fan club, 'Steed&Co'.
If there are members, there are mostly on the French forum. We learnt the sad news of the death of Steed&Co's President last Monday.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Speed Six wrote:Timescreen and Action TV both carried features about The Avengers/New Avengers, though would have to check to see which issues.
I think I have a couple of those as well, though I can't remember what the issue numbers were... :oops:

I also have some of those Avengers Files magazine/digest/book/whatever you call them that John Peel put together. I wouldn't classify them as essential, though.