Swinging London and The Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

mariocki wrote:A fascinating thread this and one that reminds me of most of the people I’ve spoken to who were around at that time and who say pretty much the same thing - Britain felt like the centre of the universe for a very short time but it didn’t change their lives. Most had mundane jobs and the Swinging Sixties always seemed to be just out of reach around the corner.
To quote Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp: The 'permissive society' doesn't exist. I know, I've looked for it.
Brian Flagg
Nutshell

Post by Brian Flagg »

mariocki wrote:A fascinating thread this and one that reminds me of most of the people I’ve spoken to who were around at that time and who say pretty much the same thing - Britain felt like the centre of the universe for a very short time but it didn’t change their lives. Most had mundane jobs and the Swinging Sixties always seemed to be just out of reach around the corner.
From what I've seen from of-the-era- of British Pathé films, the so-called Swinging London looked to be exclusively the territory of youth, and rather superficial youth at that. Most people of an adult age were too busy making ends meet, whereas the kids in the video linked below appeared to still be of school age.

It's still fascinating to me, though. Mostly because it seems like it barely happened.

https://youtu.be/h3QdILmYQas
Consilio et prudentia
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Swinging London and The Avengers

Post by Mona »

Brian Flagg wrote:With (especially) the Peel-era Avengers, I often get the feeling that the rest of the "Swingin' '60s" is happening just off camera and that the show is a part of the whole "scene" of the time. I'm sure I'm just romanticizing the time but somehow the strains of Sgt. Pepper's and the sights of Carnaby Street are vivid in my mind, especially in the monochrome season. The show's zeitgeist, along with its light tone and wonderfully English eccentrics give me that feeling more than anything that's implicitly stated. Mrs. Peel's fashion sense is another dead giveaway that London at its 20th Century peak.

I'm wondering if there are particular episodes that give you this same feeling or if I'm just looking too deeply into this.
Well, we have Steed doing some nice rock and roll dancing to the music in "Build a Better Mousetrap", for a few seconds until the youngsters, horrified, shut off the music.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

The tie shop set in 50,000 Breakfast is a wonderful example of how The Avengers in colour celebrates the Pop Art fashion of the Swinging Sixties. However, in general, shows like Man in a Suitcase were far better at showing off the Swinging Sixties with its music, fashions and dancing. The lack of ordinary people in Avengerland makes it harder to show this.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I had forgotten that the Avengers have a quick cameo in the Beatles Yellow Submarine!

Check out this short article about classic pulp hero The Phantom's appearance in Yellow Submarine... at the bottom they have a screen grab of his appearance, and look at who is behind him - Steed dancing with someone, maybe Venus?

https://thephantom.fan/screen/yellow-submarine/

I'm assuming the animators were fans of the Avengers... did the Beatles ever say if they dug 'em?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm I'm assuming the animators were fans of the Avengers... did the Beatles ever say if they dug 'em?
Yes. Can't remember the event now, might have been an interview or a press event, but the Beatles actually delayed some appearance because The Avengers was on TV and they wanted to finish watching the episode (I believe it was a Cathy Gale episode).

See also:
viewtopic.php?t=3043
Last edited by Frankymole on Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm - Steed dancing with someone, maybe Venus?
It is Tara. Linda in the blonde hairdo from the frilly-pink-dress photoshoot at the Savoy, October 10th, 1967.

Loads of snaps from it here:
Last edited by Frankymole on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm
Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm I'm assuming the animators were fans of the Avengers... did the Beatles ever say if they dug 'em?
Yes. Can't remember the event now, might have been an interview or a press event, but the Beatles actually delayed some appearance because The Avengers was on TV and they wanted to finish watching the episode (I believe it was a Cathy Gale episode).

See also:
viewtopic.php?t=3043
Great to know that The Beatles were fans of the Avengers!
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Rhonda wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm Great to know that The Beatles were fans of the Avengers!
They loved The Prisoner, too.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

great pict..looks like they both are fresh at the weight reduction holiday camp, they were rumored to have gone to..and Linda in her blonde wig, after the initial misfortune of a bad hair dye..which caused her natural hair to fall out...I always thought, she was the WRONG choice to replace Diana..
way tooooooooo young...no experience....as a 'agent'...i.e. more like a trainee...and it sorta prompted the role of ' mother '..

but despite the above misgivings , Linda did well...and it took me a while, to accept her tenure...but it's all good..