The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Allard
The Ministry

Re: Re:

Post by Allard »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:52 pm
Allard wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:25 pm I disagree, the more decentralised the better the survival chances. The real problems are the frequent changes of formats / technology and intellectual property.
Yes, storage formats are an issue. Particularly if we lose the hardware and software to access some things due to commercial "progress".

I guess it's all about accessibility. The British Museum library has a copy of every publication in the UK (it's a legal condition a copy is sent there when something is published), which ensures preservation and accessibility for researchers in the future - but if people's archives are private, things can be "lost" forever. We've had that even with some TV franchise-holders like Southern whose stuff has gone missing, or in the case of paperwork, destroyed.

Well there will always be a private sphere (let's hope). Paperwork and such will always be limited in access.

Technology wise there is intrinsicly a lag, in the 60s and 70s there was no home recording, in the 80s/90s/00s low quality vhs, but now anything that is published or broadcast can be instantly copied and spread in almost limitless quantity.... it is only that damned intellectual property and copyright obstructing this.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: The Avengers - A 50th Anniversary Celebration

Post by mousemeat »

there is a reason for such rues..i.e. copyright, etc...but there are pros and cons..as the medium does sort itself out, in the age of streaming, etc