Avengers Books

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Hope that helps!
That's a massive help, thank you. I've now started reading Deadline and I'll pick up the other recommendations as I can.

The fan/collector/ironist in me is still curious about the Steed biography. Maybe if I ever see a copy going cheap...
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

Frankymole wrote:
robmyers wrote:I've decided to start reading Avengers tie-in fiction. I survived the Prisoner novels. :D
All of them? What about the Roger Langley ones - "When In Rome", "Think Tank" etc? They're a definite test of fan mettle...
Just The Ace ones. I've not read the Langleys.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

robmyers wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Hope that helps!
That's a massive help, thank you. I've now started reading Deadline and I'll pick up the other recommendations as I can.

The fan/collector/ironist in me is still curious about the Steed biography. Maybe if I ever see a copy going cheap...
Deadline is good fun. It's less famous than Dead Duck, but I actually enjoyed it more. The whole background with the newspaper business I found really interesting. Hope you enjoy some of my other picks, too. Avengers fiction is actually quite fun. Some of it feels like its own universe, but it gives you an alternate look-in on their characters.

As for the biography, it's a strange bird. It's smirkworthy in the sense that the author had some fun with it, writing in Steed's childhood interactions with James Bond and a certain Daniel Patrick Macnee, respectively. It also delves quite deeply into his wartime experience, his childhood, and his love life (making him another member of the well-populated Avengerland widows club in the process). You probably won't believe a word of it, but it's an interesting read.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Cybernowt wrote: Even the reprints of the Dr Who strips have been put on hold - possibly even cancelled for good.
That's due to the BBC acting up over rights (with the new series so popular, they could be taking it all back in-house: like they did with the novels after the McGann TV movie). The sales of the "graphic novel" reprints were very good.

The Titan reprints of the James Bond newspaper strips did quite well too IIRC.
Last watched: "Trojan Horse"
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

I'm enjoying Deadline. The only thing that seems strange to me is that the characterisations seem more like Steed's dynamic with Mrs. Gale than with Mrs. Peel. Or possibly I'm just noticing it more on the page than I would on the screen. :-)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

robmyers wrote:I'm enjoying Deadline. The only thing that seems strange to me is that the characterisations seem more like Steed's dynamic with Mrs. Gale than with Mrs. Peel. Or possibly I'm just noticing it more on the page than I would on the screen. :-)
It was written fairly early in the Emma era, so it's entirely possible they had more of a Cathy mindset than Emma at the time. I should mention I forgot to include the Gale era novel The Avengers by Douglas Enefer in my list. That one's also quite good, and the only proper novelisation for Steed and Cathy. I'd recommend that one as well. :D

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:
With that in mind, keep an eye open for some very rare Avengers strips at Yahoo Group, The Forget Me Notes. Coming soon.
I'm really grateful someone pointed out that yahoo group "The Forget Me Notes". I've had a wonderful time reading old The Avenger comics and seeing the different art and character interpretations.

I'd love someone to put together a book of collections of old Avenger comics. I'd buy that in a second.

Mona
the comics ? that would be a treat, if they could be reproduced in an book..etc
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

mousemeat wrote:
Mona wrote:
With that in mind, keep an eye open for some very rare Avengers strips at Yahoo Group, The Forget Me Notes. Coming soon.
I'm really grateful someone pointed out that yahoo group "The Forget Me Notes". I've had a wonderful time reading old The Avenger comics and seeing the different art and character interpretations.

I'd love someone to put together a book of collections of old Avenger comics. I'd buy that in a second.

Mona
the comics ? that would be a treat, if they could be reproduced in an book..etc
That would be wonderful! It's so difficult to get a complete set of comics, even with internet groups and such. A collection of all the strips would probably do quite well. The Who and Bond ones did. :)

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There is a very nice Yahoo group called 'The Forget Me Notes' that reproduces Avengers comic pages.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/The-Forget-Me-Notes/
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

[quote]

If you're a TNA fan, you must, must, must read Fighting Men, one of the all-time best Avengers novels in terms of characterisation. The Purdey/Gambit dialogue is so priceless, you'll wish it was said onscreen. [quote/]

Well, I'm late coming in to this conversation as I wanted to reread "Fighting Men", first and just got around to it. While some of the banter is exceedingly good in this novelization, some was very problematic.

For one thing, in "Fighting Men", Steed is presented like Bertie Wooster, his dialogue full of "I say", and "Old chap" and "Jolly good", "Hard luck, my boy" and all those phrases Steed never said as an Englishman. Also, his character is greatly underused; he is either drinking (way too much), while Purdey and Gambit are in dire straits, or relying on other characters to help him out and guide him. We see him come through in the end by convincing a rebel "king" to help him, but the author creates this mystery as to why the king agreed to trust Steed and neither Gambit, very understandably, nor the reader has any CLUE to the answer. Probably the author has no idea why the king would agree and so wrote himself out of having to explain it! ;-)

As to Gambit and Purdey, the initial Gambit dialogue in the early pages is, again, annoying, Gambit simply trying to have sex with Purdey; I counted four episodes of him trying to get her into bed in the first 33 pages. I don't find that charming or fun; neither, apparently does Purdey, who has to constantly refuse his overtures. FINALLY, Gambit gets around to actually asking her out to dinner, and then she is willing to consider it. So, when Gambit gets around to viewing her as a woman, instead of a sex object, she is willing to at least have a meal with him. (Even when they are tied up in a crate, Purdey is concerned Gambit is trying to fondle her!)

In the rest of the book, no matter the circumstances, we get very light-hearted bantering exchanges between Purdey and Gambit--at times that is very nice to read, and as Timeless states, very well done in capturing the conversations we have seen and enjoyed many times on the show. Certainly, Gambit and Purdey are well paired as partners in adventure, get along well, and work out problems together as a team.

In other circumstances, however, the wit seems greatly out of place. What I most like about The Avengers, and TNA, are the moments when we learn something deeper and human and darker in our characters--when the light fun fades for a view into what haunts their minds. Learning Steed, when visiting Father, has to open drapes as he doesn't like being in a dark room, seeing Emma show mindless fear under the helicopter, watching Steed throw his glass in sheer frustration and anger when he's lost Emma on the base, seeing Purdey struggle with her ex's nefarious doings, and such, is incredibly interesting to me. Much more so than Purdey and Gambit somewhat unbelievably sending out little jokes and quips as they are tied up in a claustrophobic crate under piles of other crates, in the dark, waiting to be dropped in the ocean; or, making quips about their muddy clothes when Africans are running for their lives and others are getting blown up by missiles. Not that I don't love the banter of The Avengers and TNA--I do love it!--but I like it combined with seeing our characters in a whole, real manner. It's like so many folks saying they enjoyed the scene of Steed with Piggy Warren--that wasn't very witty at all, but it sure showed an intense side of our secret agent!

I would have liked to see the author show more of the substance of Purdey and Gambit in some harrowing scenes, but unfortunately Cartwright's adapted storyline did not do so.

Also, it was a little dark for this TNA book to have Miller kill a child--that seemed unnecessary; we already knew he was indeed mad.

So, this book was okay. I liked the other TNA books a bit better.

Of course, as no doubt folks can imagine, the ending of "To Catch A Rat" was the best, with Purdey winding up in bed with Steed. ;-)

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk