Ian Hendry

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Ian Hendry

Post by Frankymole »

I watched it last night. Ian had some tremendously good scenes with Wanda Ventham, especially towards the climax of the episode. Once again proving what a good and subtle actor he is. Well suited to a complex script - there were no "easy answers" or pat resolutions, something of a trademark of The Gold Robbers series.

It does make me even sadder that his The Informer one is missing.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

gotta love Wanda Ventham..always thought she was a interesting actress...long career...and if memory serves me right, (?) I believe she's still with us...getting close to 90, I suppose...

it always helps a actor, when he / she has someone to bounce off...etc
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes I saw her a few years ago live on the Chelsea Flower Show programme on the BBC, I think she may have been with Ben, she was happy and healthy and enjoyed the lovely gardens :)
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

how cool was that, seeing her live...amazing...and thanks for sharing...one of the last of the greats
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

One of Ian Hendry's best films is up again on TPTV Encore (free to watch in available regions): https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Live ... f7673166e6

mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:20 pm One of Ian Hendry's best films is up again on TPTV Encore (free to watch in available regions): https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Live ... f7673166e6

saw this eons ago..on a bootleg VHS.....wondering if it ever saw a proper DVD issue ?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 am saw this eons ago..on a bootleg VHS.....wondering if it ever saw a proper DVD issue ?
Not sure, but they're showing a terribly grubby print!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:54 pm
mousemeat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 am saw this eons ago..on a bootleg VHS.....wondering if it ever saw a proper DVD issue ?
Not sure, but they're showing a terribly grubby print!
well...sadly, it's better than not seeing it at all...perhaps one of the re issue dvd companies, could license it for a proper release...
Frankymole

Re:

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 pm Best performance? I haven't seen them all, but his best dramatic performance would have to be in The Hill. For laughs, I'd say Live now pay later. Ian was very convincing in both of these.

I found it started as a comedy and ended as a tragedy, a very clever film that has more than ever to say about consumerism, domestic abuse and "legal" scams. One of the main turning points was the scene shown in that lobby card photo.

Ian was simply magnificent, with huge range and charm. He even got to perform a low somersault on a "trampoline" bed in that scene, one of his circus skills learned with Coco the Clown no doubt.

There seem to have been at least two edits released, one perhaps for foreign export, with boobies on show in the bathroom scene.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

two different release versions ? par for the course, at times...it would be nice if say, criterion, Kino-Lober, Arrow, or even shout factory, would
take the time to do a re issue, using the best possible source material, cleaning up, dirt and scratches on negative, splices, the whole nine yards..
and color correct, etc..it would look so good course, the original source materials , may be lost, or badly damaged..or the copyright may be a problem as well..but one can hope.....