Julie Stevens

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Rhonda
Epic

Julie Stevens

Post by Rhonda »

I just watched a recording of the 2000 Bafta award to the Avengers girls and was a bit disappointed that Julie Stevens didn't get a mention. So it was good to see her introducing 'The Removal Men' on the Optimum DVD. Venus Smith was an Avengers girl, and a very charming one, wasn't she!
Ron
Last Watched : Small Game for Big Hunters
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: Julie Stevens

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Rhonda wrote:Venus Smith was an Avengers girl

THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

That's probably more of an opinion then a fact.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Julie Stevens = fast forward . . .
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

:lol:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

VA_Avenger wrote:Julie Stevens = fast forward . . .
Venus Smith = earplugs...
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Since everyone else is dismissing her, I'm going to stand up for Venus Smith.

She was in the Avengers and she was a "girl", therefore she was an Avengers' Girl!

Julie Stevens gives a lovely performance; wonderful, quirky, warm, funny, entertaining, innocent. I think her songs are brilliant for just being so bizarre. Box of Tricks is really the only episode to feature Venus that I don't engage with but she is a ray of sunshine is all the rest.

So there

Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Darren wrote:Since everyone else is dismissing her, I'm going to stand up for Venus Smith.

She was in the Avengers and she was a "girl", therefore she was an Avengers' Girl!
I'll second that. I liked Venus immediately when I first watched the Cathys--she was warmer than Cathy, and she wasn't insufferably smug and manipulative like Steed. Watching the Gales the second time around, I find I like Cathy and Steed better, but I still have a soft spot for Venus. She's a bright, sunny character, pretty feisty, and copes pretty well given that Steed involves her and never tells her what's going on. I'm not saying I think she have been given the full 26 episodes, but I think she's a breath of fresh air in the episodes she does, and I love the little introductions Julie Stevens has done for the DVDs. I can't wait for her commentaries. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Well, I'm not dissing her. My 'grabs popcorn' smiley was only there because we'd covered this topic before and I knew what might be coming. :)

And because I wanted an excuse to use my 'grabs popcorn' smiley! 8)

I have dissmissed her as an Avenger girl in the past, but when I heard Julie's smashing commentary - and she the fact that she considers herself an Avenger girl - I thought, as Darren has said: She WAS in The Avengers. She DID get a star billing. She WAS a girl, therefore ...

Venus Smith may not have been an 'Avenger girl' in the way with think of Avenger girls today and she may have preferred karaoke to karate, so perhaps she can be thought of as a proto-Avenger girl - along with Carol Wilson, who also didn't climb into leather and get involved in the fights.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I have dissmissed her as an Avenger girl in the past, but when I heard Julie's smashing commentary - and she the fact that she considers herself an Avenger girl - I thought, as Darren has said: She WAS in The Avengers. She DID get a star billing. She WAS a girl, therefore ...

Venus Smith may not have been an 'Avenger girl' in the way with think of Avenger girls today and she may have preferred karaoke to karate, so perhaps she can be thought of as a proto-Avenger girl - along with Carol Wilson, who also didn't climb into leather and get involved in the fights.
Exactly. I think of Carol as a sort of Avengers girl prototype. I wish we had more of her episodes--she actually handles herself pretty well in Girl On the Trapeze, and goes along with Steed's plots in The Frighteners. Sometimes she played a pretty large role in assignments, from what I've read. I suppose that makes the original Avengers format two men and a woman...Funny, that sounds familiar. :wink:

I think it also helps to remember that Venus was "taken out of context" as it were. She was conceived as a character for the Keel episodes, when Steed and Keel could slouch around smoking in seedy nightclubs, and knowing the nightclub singer would probably come in handy for gathering intel from other patrons. The show sort of out-evolved her before she even had a chance, which is probably why she doesn't satisfy as a true "partner"--she was supposed to have Keel there to share the load.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14