Diana Rigg

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Diana Rigg

Post by mousemeat »

was thinking about the article..and the battle Diana went thru..and it was very close to home for myself...as my wife is fighting cancer..and at the moment, she's had good days, and some bad..as Cancer is a ugly enemy...and long before she was stricken, we both made a pact, to take the other one out...i.e. assisted end of life..which, would be illegal here in the USA...I've had health issues as well...and I've also requested that I would be taken out...and don't allow to suffer unneedless..and it really shouldn't have to be a issue...end of life, especially when a terminal illness, reaks havoc, shouldn't be a problem..,,,
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Frankymole wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:12 pm Diana Rigg and her old mate Denis Quilley play husband and wife in "Evil Under The Sun" (1982), an Agatha Christie mystery starring Peter Ustinov as Poirot. It has recently been added to Britbox, which is handy, since I have just read the book (while waiting for my car to be fixed... it was a long wait).

Lots of praise on IMDB for Diana and her costumes in particular: "the costumes are superb, they really add a glamorous note to it, Rigg looks sensational in many scenes."
"There's also some great Cole Porter songs on the soundtrack and the costumes are just breath-taking (especially on Rigg)."

https://www.britbox.co.uk/watch/Evil_Un ... _Sun_70081

Good news, for the next 26 days "Evil Under The Sun" is available (free of adverts!) on the BBC's iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... er-the-sun

Probably only for UK viewers unless you have a VPN.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

gotta love EVIL UNDER THE SUN...great acting, script ...what's not to like ? classy.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

mousemeat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:05 pm gotta love EVIL UNDER THE SUN...great acting, script ...what's not to like ? classy.
Always loved all the bitchy exchanges between Dames Rigg and Smith
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Just watched it again for possibly the third time. Great performances from all especially Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith. Great plot from the best crime writer ever IMHO.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the Guardian link Franky. It was a lovely heartfelt tribute from Rachel that was both fascinating and difficult to read.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:06 pm Just watched it again for possibly the third time. Great performances from all especially Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith. Great plot from the best crime writer ever IMHO.
Yes, it was thankfully accurate to the book. I don't like it when film screenwriters think they can "improve" mystery plots and end up ruining them. We were in safe hands with Anthony Shaffer. Loads of talent on this one, both in front of the cameras and behind them.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Frankymole wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:22 pm
cyberrich wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:06 pm Just watched it again for possibly the third time. Great performances from all especially Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith. Great plot from the best crime writer ever IMHO.
Yes, it was thankfully accurate to the book. I don't like it when film screenwriters think they can "improve" mystery plots and end up ruining them. We were in safe hands with Anthony Shaffer. Loads of talent on this one, both in front of the cameras and behind them.
Oh Yes, they made some changes such as the rivalry between Rigg and Smith's characters and trying to give everyone a motive, but they didn't change the core plot itself (the method of murder, the murderer and the motives). The original adaptations of Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile also made changes from the books but those were done for entertainment or for logistics in filming.

Some of the modern adaptations are hit and miss when it comes to plot changes. The majority of changes from the Poirot series with David Suchet I can live with. Like Taken From the Flood's resolution actually makes more sense than what Christie originally wrote. But these days I shudder at the thought of Sarah Phelps touching any of the Christie stories after what she did to Ordeal by Innocence and The ABC Murders and the Pale HOrse
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

^^^ I enjoyed Sarah Phelps's adaptation of And Then There Were None and I thought Witness For The Procescution was excellent.

It all went completely to pot after that though. The ABC Murders, one of my favourites of all of Christie's works, was completely ruined, Phelps didn't seem to understand the fundamental point of the story.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Ian Wegg wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:55 pm ^^^ I enjoyed Sarah Phelps's adaptation of And Then There Were None and I thought Witness For The Procescution was excellent.

It all went completely to pot after that though. The ABC Murders, one of my favourites of all of Christie's works, was completely ruined, Phelps didn't seem to understand the fundamental point of the story.
Yes, I remember the ITV version of The ABC Murders being a bit lame. I saw someone playing the computer game of it recently and then they watched it on a stream, I hadn't the heart to put them off. The latter Poirot adaptions often played fast and loose with the source material, and were a bit shaky as a result. Not that I want Japp and Miss Lemon randomly inserted in everything (I always find her assisting Poirot a bit odd, having read the Parker Pyne stories first where she is Pyne's assistant/secretary), but if you're going to play with the format at least keep the major plot beats and motivations intact.