The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Hello, 2 dimensional pictures always seem more naturally

Post by mousemeat »

Philip Mason wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote:
Frankymole wrote:After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.
It isn't only young people. From the mid-seventies onwards my mother has refused to watch anything in not in colour, her reasoning being that she didn't spend all that money on a colour set to watch in black & white. It caused a few family arguments over the years.

Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.

3D HAS BEEN kicking around since the early 50's...by '54, it had flamed out...TV hasn't fare much better...the jury is still out..and probably will never be a factor in broadcasting..etc
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Some 50s SF stands the test of time far better than 60s and 70s stuff... Quatermass, Forbidden Planet, etc
The Quatermass films, weren't well received here in the states...'too british' was the opinion...and they weren't promoted well...as for some of the best known and loved sci-fi of the 50's, that would include, Desination moon,(1951) It came from Outer space (1953) The Thing (1951) Them (1954) GOG (1954) Forbidden Planet (1956) Earth VS the Flying Saucers (1958)

among the many others...and I would concur, the 50's batch, was the best examples...
The one that freaked me out was a 1958 film called "The Fiend Without a Face"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiend_Without_a_Face

I was scared to walk back from my friend's house at about 2am or whatever it was, after that was shown on late-night TV.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:Some 50s SF stands the test of time far better than 60s and 70s stuff... Quatermass, Forbidden Planet, etc
The Quatermass films, weren't well received here in the states...'too british' was the opinion...and they weren't promoted well...as for some of the best known and loved sci-fi of the 50's, that would include, Desination moon,(1951) It came from Outer space (1953) The Thing (1951) Them (1954) GOG (1954) Forbidden Planet (1956) Earth VS the Flying Saucers (1958)

among the many others...and I would concur, the 50's batch, was the best examples...
The one that freaked me out was a 1958 film called "The Fiend Without a Face"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiend_Without_a_Face

I was scared to walk back from my friend's house at about 2am or whatever it was, after that was shown on late-night TV.
oh man, I can certainly see where you were coming from..for a b/w film, it was rather creepy...what gave me the creeps.was the way the brains, fell apart, when they got shot....and of course, how they would wrap themselves around your neck and back, and pull you brains and spinal cord out....

yikes !

a few yrs ago, criterion released a remastered DVD of it..and it look fantastic !
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes I've got a DVD of it somewhere, but I've never watched it again as I'm too scared :lol:
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes I've got a DVD of it somewhere, but I've never watched it again as I'm too scared :lol:

go ahead....take the plunge.....look out !.....lol.....all kidding aside, I can understand your reluctance....there's scene in 'GOG'....where the Lab Tech
gets caught in the locked lab..temps drop down, so brutally cold, he falls over and shatters when he hits the floor...still uneases me to this day..