6.09 - Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40?

Rate 'Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40?'

6%
6%
13%
19%
19%
25%
No votes
No votes
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 16

Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Poignant to see the ever-reliable Frank Windsor who passed away last week. Also good to see Dennis Price.

A competent but not outstanding episode.

7/10
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

Hadn't seen this one in a while and needed to wait up for midnight to pick someone up,so I thought I would give this one a spin.

My memory of this was that it was a bit of a meh episode, not really groundbreaking in any way. A lot of faux-surgical nonsense and a subplot else where.

I was surprised to find I enjoyed it more than that. It did enjoy the pretend operating theatre scenes and the treating of George as a patient on life support quite amusing. Someone above talked about the scenes from the The Gravediggers, and I would concur with that.

A good cast provide strong character reactions, but perhaps there wasn't enough mystery in the script. It still feels a more average episode. Early on in the run as it comes, there doesn't seem to be the dynamic yet between Linda and Pat which was evident quite quickly with both Honor and Diana. It also seems that Pat is almost 'dialing it in' as Steed: not the early Steed of Keel and Gale, nor the frivolous Steed of Peel, but a mainly straight version of Steed who perhaps doesn't really want to be there (we know Pat had thought of going before and questioned what he was still doing here now).

The direction doesn't really stand out, but it was great to hear a lot of musical cues from season 4 - I think from Death at bargain Prices. Seemed quite odd to have them here, but a welcome return.

Linda did really look lovely in her original niece costume with her hat on - I hadn't realised her legs were so long....

Based on what I've given other stories, I'm going to give this a 6.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Lee wrote:Hadn't seen this one in a while and needed to wait up for midnight to pick someone up,so I thought I would give this one a spin.

My memory of this was that it was a bit of a meh episode, not really groundbreaking in any way. A lot of faux-surgical nonsense and a subplot else where.

I was surprised to find I enjoyed it more than that. It did enjoy the pretend operating theatre scenes and the treating of George as a patient on life support quite amusing. Someone above talked about the scenes from the The Gravediggers, and I would concur with that.

A good cast provide strong character reactions, but perhaps there wasn't enough mystery in the script. It still feels a more average episode. Early on in the run as it comes, there doesn't seem to be the dynamic yet between Linda and Pat which was evident quite quickly with both Honor and Diana. It also seems that Pat is almost 'dialing it in' as Steed: not the early Steed of Keel and Gale, nor the frivolous Steed of Peel, but a mainly straight version of Steed who perhaps doesn't really want to be there (we know Pat had thought of going before and questioned what he was still doing here now).

The direction doesn't really stand out, but it was great to hear a lot of musical cues from season 4 - I think from Death at bargain Prices. Seemed quite odd to have them here, but a welcome return.

Linda did really look lovely in her original niece costume with her hat on - I hadn't realised her legs were so long....

Based on what I've given other stories, I'm going to give this a 6.

never was a big fan of this episode...yrs later, still feel the same. too clunky. but she does have a set of legs. Overall, she's a fine actress..can hold her own with Blackman and Rigg...but she didn't have the great scripts they did
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

This isn't the first episode on the automation / computer theme, but it is the first to take the silly approach. It therefore lacks the dark undertone of The Big Thinker or The Cybernauts, yet it tries to be a thriller.

I don't think it as much deserves a bad reputation, it's a typical Tara King era over the top episode. The problem is that it tries to be two things, a comedic story (computer research centre) and a thriller (Pelley's house). The latter don't really fit in, in style with the former.

It has lots of colourful sets, eccentric characters (a scientist with all square furnishings), but the episode is on the whole a bit dreary, slow, lacks sparkle. The operating scenes are definitely the highlight.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:This isn't the first episode on the automation / computer theme, but it is the first to take the silly approach. It therefore lacks the dark undertone of The Big Thinker or The Cybernauts, yet it tries to be a thriller.

I don't think it as much deserves a bad reputation, it's a typical Tara King era over the top episode. The problem is that it tries to be two things, a comedic story (computer research centre) and a thriller (Pelley's house). The latter don't really fit in, in style with the former.

It has lots of colourful sets, eccentric characters (a scientist with all square furnishings), but the episode is on the whole a bit dreary, slow, lacks sparkle. The operating scenes are definitely the highlight.

very good point...i.e. is it a comedy ? a thriller ? or both ? again, many of the scripts for her series run, just wasn't up to snuff, compared to the Gale and Peel eras...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

There were plenty of dud scripts in those eras too... and not always with the same variety.

Still, at least we can agree (hopefully) that they're all better than 10 or 11 of the New Avengers season 2 episodes ;)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:There were plenty of dud scripts in those eras too... and not always with the same variety.

Still, at least we can agree (hopefully) that they're all better than 10 or 11 of the New Avengers season 2 episodes ;)
Franky, you'll get no argument from me, concerting some of those Season 2 episodes......(new avengers)
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

Though the plot is rather uneven, the episode still has its merits. Personally, it's one I enjoy watching every now and then, specially for the surgery scenes and Tara passing for Prunella.

I think this episode is a very good example of what I believe is, perhaps, one of the biggest flaws of the King era, which is the absence of a mastermind. Sir Wilfred Pelley's secretary Loris just doesn't quite do the trick for me.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Brugeoise wrote:Though the plot is rather uneven, the episode still has its merits. Personally, it's one I enjoy watching every now and then, specially for the surgery scenes and Tara passing for Prunella.

I think this episode is a very good example of what I believe is, perhaps, one of the biggest flaws of the King era, which is the absence of a mastermind. Sir Wilfred Pelley's secretary Loris just doesn't quite do the trick for me.
Judy Parfitt is good as always, the character just isn't interesting enough.