5%
5%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 21

Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

The second of two New Avengers stories I watched in the last week.

I gave this a 5. I seem to be in a minority in not thinking this is a great episode.

During the later years of The Avengers (Tara's year and TNA) there seemed to be more introspective episodes. What I mean by that, is that the main characters become the focus of the story. It is about them, not the situations they are investigating.

This is one of those episodes. I generally find those episodes weaker - Steed and co should be 'avenging', righting wrongs, not being kidnapped, doubted, having their pasts stolen etc. The Avengers need to be investigating, not being investigated.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Also - the precredit sequence : would Steed really have worn a cloth cap and a coat in 65 when he was at his heights with Emma Peel? I don't like the obsession with Purdey - almost making her out to be god-like.

I do like Gambit's relationship with Gabriella Drake's character, though and that is what scores for me in the episode.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Lee wrote:The second of two New Avengers stories I watched in the last week.

I gave this a 5. I seem to be in a minority in not thinking this is a great episode.

During the later years of The Avengers (Tara's year and TNA) there seemed to be more introspective episodes. What I mean by that, is that the main characters become the focus of the story. It is about them, not the situations they are investigating.

This is one of those episodes. I generally find those episodes weaker - Steed and co should be 'avenging', righting wrongs, not being kidnapped, doubted, having their pasts stolen etc. The Avengers need to be investigating, not being investigated.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Also - the precredit sequence : would Steed really have worn a cloth cap and a coat in 65 when he was at his heights with Emma Peel? I don't like the obsession with Purdey - almost making her out to be god-like.

I do like Gambit's relationship with Gabriella Drake's character, though and that is what scores for me in the episode.
This is an AMAZING episode, one of the best from The New Avengers canon.

We get past history of Steed, from his school days to his working with Mark.

We get a feeling of intuition of danger Steed has, feeling someone rolled over his grave after cricket, when Mark was back in town.

We get insights into his love of Purdey, and his deep attachment to friendship and loyalty. His remembrance of Mark as a friend, after all Mark has put him through, the gunshot wounds, destroying his Bentley, putting Purdey's life in danger; it's such a wonderful insight into Steed as a mature spy and man.

We really see Steed very scared, not shown often, when Mark aims his gun at Steed in the tower; Steed even takes a little step backwards.

All in all, this episode could not have been better. For Steed fans, this is one of the all-time best episode high-lighting this complex and admirable character.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

I love the fact that we all like different stories.

I can appreciate what you have to say about the episode - and I agree in many ways - it's just that it does not appeal to me. If this was a one off, fine, but in its latter years, these kind of introspective stories became more common. I prefer them to investigate something outside of themselves and solve the problems.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

This can't be a coincidence. So you think Clemens and Spooner liked this film?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031218/?r ... mg_act_152
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Mona wrote:This is an AMAZING episode, one of the best from The New Avengers canon.

We get past history of Steed, from his school days to his working with Mark.
Given that Clemens reused the name (or very similar) Mark Crawford/Crayford several times, I wonder if it had some significance for him. Given that one Avengers writer used names from his local Bridge card club for villains throughout his scripts, immortalising them, (possibly Dennis Spooner? Can't remember) it's a nice conceit.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I'm not a huge fan of the New Avengers, but this episode was as good as it gets...and I would gladly give it a ' 9 '.....and it's one of those episodes, you can watch over and over...and still draw from it