Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 from me. Like Steed's cleverness.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

I watched this yesterday afternoon on the ITV4 broadcast. It's a few years since anyone commented here but it's been interesting reading the previous posts.

Proper Avengers in my view (which is a great relief after yesterday's '...Earthmen').

I've given it an 8.

~iw
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I tried to watch it again this morning as part of the "Christmas / festive season episodes" and I'm afraid I fell asleep partway through. The same death over and over and over again is boring, and Forbes is utterly dreadful, I'm sorry but she has no discernible personality. She doesn't even seem to get any close-ups, indicating either poor dialogue or that the director doesn't think much of the character either. She's probably not even as good as Elisabeth Shepherd's version of Emma Peel. Deadly dull. Maybe the title "Killer" refers to her impact on the mood of entertainment?

The plot was done much better in "House That Jack Built" and "Complex". Indeed, those actually had some plot... this just had the same scene repeated ad nauseam.

Having actors of the quality of Anthony Valentine (briefly) around - note the enjoyable bits of character "business" like his fumbling with a gun when searching for a pen - and the always-personable Harry Towb, just counterpoints the inexperience of the actress and lack of anything to really do with such a dully-written character. All in all it's a throwback to the Emma colour era, not to good episodes but to the most boring "same death repeats for 40 minutes until we can end it". A ten-minute story stretched out to 50, and Tara's absence is keenly felt.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, it would've been interesting if she'd been introduced earlier - I wonder how she would have got on with Emma Peel? Rather like the planned three-handers for season 2 which never came off (I always wonder what Cathy would've made of Venus Smith, or Venus of Dr Keel/King). I suspect Emma would've been quite snooty about her.

can you think Cat fight ? I dunno, I think Gale, might have cut Venus, a little slack....but Emma, would be a another story
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I used to take against Forbes on principle as she was the anti-Tara (those who despised Tara loved her etc). lol.

It wasn't until I listened to Jennifer Croxton on the dvd commentary that I warmed to the character but that was entirely due to Jennifer coming over as so warm and loveable in person. As I said on the previous page in 2013..

As a counter to my remark about Clemens - I had since heard him say in an interview that Forbes was never intended as a replacement for Tara or was never intended to be used again. I can't recall if it was commentary or a written interview.

As for the episode itself - Richard Wattis is totally wasted!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I don't let the actress off-screen influence me. I absolutely love Julie Stevens but even she can't save Venus Bloody Smith...
darren wrote: As for the episode itself - Richard Wattis is totally wasted!
So were William Franklyn, Colonel Henderson off UFO and to an extent Harry Towb and Tony Valentine. Great actors in a dreary script.

Last watched: "Mandrake"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I can't remember Richard Wattis in Killer at all :!: I've seen it enough times as well. Wattis is a brilliant comic actor. I especially love watching him as Mr Brown, Sykes' snobbish neighbour. Note to self. Be more observant from now on :!:
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I don't let the actress off-screen influence me. I absolutely love Julie Stevens but even she can't save Venus Bloody Smith...
darren wrote: As for the episode itself - Richard Wattis is totally wasted!
So were William Franklyn, Colonel Henderson off UFO and to an extent Harry Towb and Tony Valentine. Great actors in a dreary script.

that happens from time to time..decent actors, caught in a script that isn't up to snuff...familar tale...but when the script nails it, the acting is icing on the cake
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

cyberrich wrote:I can't remember Richard Wattis in Killer at all :!: I've seen it enough times as well. Wattis is a brilliant comic actor. I especially love watching him as Mr Brown, Sykes' snobbish neighbour. Note to self. Be more observant from now on :!:
Wattis plays the man that Steed and Forbes meet in the graveyard, examining the gift wrapped bodies.

Unless the guest cast get a fun eccentric, most parts for them in the film series are rather thankless - i’ve noticed that they usually get far more substantial roles in the videotape era.