PR: Two Against the Underworld - The Avengers (Book)

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Noel
Little Wonder

Post by Noel »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Although being very, very tired and rather unwell ... I did manage to make it through to 4.30pm at the Missing Believed Wiped Central event in Birmingham last Saturday ... which in turn meant that I was one of those fortunate enough to have seen the rather beautiful print of "Tunnel of Fear" which was screened.

Now, I'm assuming that the merits and the delights of the episode itself are being discussed widely on line elsewhere (I'm afraid that this week has been so hectic that I've barely been on the fora I normally visit) ... so rather than add even more noise around the episode itself, I just wanted to note that - after I'd recovered from the day out - on the Sunday I got Richard, Alan and Alys' book off the shelf to remind myself of some of the background and context to the episode which - despite the exhaustion - I'd enjoyed the previous day.

And - you know what? Re-visiting this volume with a new awareness of the raw research material made me even more impressed of what this superb book achieved when it first appeared. It's all too easy to take these works for granted (particularly when they class as "reference works" in so many ways - something so often taken off the shelf only for checking). And I'd certainly forgotten how massively well-assembled and beautifully thought-out and reasoned this book actually was. Brilliant level of detail and study throughout, with a real empathy for the adventures themselves.

So while I'm delighted by the hard work of Kaleidoscope in recovering these lost moments of television history for me to enjoy first hand, the experience is further enhanced by having the context and background served up so brilliantly in an amazing volume like this.

All the best

Andrew
Very sorry to hear that you was unwell and did not make it right to the end. It was a wonderful day indeed and I feel so lucky to be one of the people who has seen Tunnel of Fear. Was there any other highlights for you on the day apart from Tunnel of Fear for me the whole lot was a highlight not one bad moment.

Love there books too on the background of season one and all 26 episodes wonderful work from all three of them and hopefully more books from season two onwards.

I hope you get to see the episode again at bfi in two weeks Andrew like myself. I can't wait to view it again.

Kaleidoscope did put on a brilliant day and such hard work from all in the group. It was my first time being at a Missing Belived Wiped event but it will not be my last

Love your work for Network always super.
The Avengers will always be in my heart like it always will be in your's

ABC Your Weekend Television in The North & The Midlands

Last Listed To: "Dragonfield"

Last Watched: "Dial a Deadly Number"
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

In haste ...
NOEL wrote:Very sorry to hear that you was unwell and did not make it right to the end. It was a wonderful day indeed and I feel so lucky to be one of the people who has seen Tunnel of Fear. Was there any other highlights for you on the day apart from Tunnel of Fear for me the whole lot was a highlight not one bad moment.
It was a terrific line-up. I would have liked to have stayed to the end (particularly to see the "Late Night Horror"). But there comes a point where you have to give in to what's practical.
Love there books too on the background of season one and all 26 episodes wonderful work from all three of them and hopefully more books from season two onwards.
I think what seeing the episodes and re-reading that section of the book made me realise was just how clever Richard, Alan and Alys had been at assembling such brilliant text from fragments here and there.
I hope you get to see the episode again at bfi in two weeks Andrew like myself. I can't wait to view it again.
London's unfortunately too costly and awkward to get to as often as I'd like these days. But hope you have a great time. They are brilliant events! :)
Kaleidoscope did put on a brilliant day and such hard work from all in the group. It was my first time being at a Missing Belived Wiped event but it will not be my last
Excellent. I'm still always deeply delighted by Kaleidoscope's work.
Love your work for Network always super.
That's very kind, and I'm glad you enjoy it ... but what I think Richard, Alan and Alys achieved here with their book is quite, quite spectacular in terms of thought and detail, and I really wanted to share my enthusiasm for what they achieved with their hard work and effort.

All the best

Andrew