Series 4 Blu-ray UK/German release (February 2015)

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Dene
Nutshell

Post by Dene »

DerekD wrote:Whilst I thought the dvd picture quality was pretty good it's quite stunning how much more detail is visible on the bluray. Every blemish on every face! And quite how much makeup Diana Rigg is wearing
😈
That's something I notice with old TV shows on Blu-ray a lot - Twilight Zone, Star Trek TOS for example.

I suppose they weren't just as careful with make-up showing as they would be with feature films as they knew the image wasn't going to be seen 20ft high. And whoever thought it would eventually be seen in glorious HD :-)?
Klaus
Nutshell

Post by Klaus »

Hello all.
I have just ordered the set from Amazon. Can't wait to see Steed's flat in more detail. Someone once made a collage of pictures so one can see the whole at one glance. I loved that. The sets in series four was wonderful I think in general.
The time I have spent watching the "The Prisoner" sets and locations on my BD discs...

I bought the fifth series on iTunes in HD quality and enjoyed it, but it never really "popped" in a bluray way. So I will probably buy it when it is released on physical discs..
They ought to give a medal for those who have bought the same product in more than three formats.
But my brother appreciates that I buy the latest version.
He gets the old one. 8)
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

Catweazle wrote:The german box-set contains a little booklet where all episodes and bonuses are listed per disc.
BD1: Audio commentaries (The Town of No Return; The Master Minds); Interview with Elizabeth Shepherd; Armchair Theatre - The Hothouse (with Diana Rigg); Alternate opening and closing & original bumpers (The Master Minds); Chessboard Sequence; Picture galleries
German only: Salutation from Oliver Kalkofe and Wolfgang Bahro; Episode introductions by Oliver Kalkofe and Wolfgang Bahro

BD2: Audio commentary (Dial a Deadly Number); colourised sequences and alternate tag (Death at Bargain Prices); Behind the scenes (The Cybernauts); Picture galleries
German only: Episode introductions by Oliver Kalkofe and Wolfgang Bahro

BD3: Different openings (The Gravediggers); German opening; French opening and closing; Picture galleries

BD4: Audio commentary (The Hour That Never Was); Episode reconstruction (Kill the King); Picture galleries

BD5: ITN Newsreel footage; Episode reconstruction (Dead of Winter -> the booklet states "Small Game for Big Hunters"); John Stamp "Avengers" trailer; Picture galleries

BD6: Audio commentary (The House That Jack Built); colourised sequences (A Touch of Brimstone); Picture galleries

BD7: The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse; Das Diadem; Picture galleries
Rose: Dorothy, you are - what we call in news business - a hot story.
Dorothy: And you are - what we call in revenge business - next.
(The Golden Girls)
modrevolve
Nutshell

Post by modrevolve »

Season 5 is up for preorder. Lets's hope the price is only temporary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... ROKL5A1OLE
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

Which perhaps means season 6 before year end?
modrevolve
Nutshell

Post by modrevolve »

and then going back and putting seasons 2 and 3 on blu-ray as well :P
wibblewobble
Nutshell

Post by wibblewobble »

Oops - double post, see post below.
Last edited by wibblewobble on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wibblewobble
Nutshell

Post by wibblewobble »

wibblewobble wrote:Someone asked for some screenshots: here are a few from the first 3 episodes - here's a little album with half a dozen:

http://imgur.com/a/xvwaP

Click on the little gear in the upper right of each image to see "full resolution".

I particularly like this one :). Ignoring Ms. Rigg's stunning beauty for the moment, notice the subtle detail in her shirt collar (turtleneck?) - very fine cloth texture in a light colored garment, something that would often get blown out and just show up as as solid color (mostly likely just over-exposed white). Someone took care in making these transfers and didn't overdo the DNR, didn't make them too contrasty. Kudos!

wibblewobble
Nutshell

Post by wibblewobble »

modrevolve wrote:Season 5 is up for preorder. Lets's hope the price is only temporary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... ROKL5A1OLE
I just put in my order, and while the price on the pre-order page says £73.39, they only charged me £61 (*)

I preordered Series 4 the second it popped up, it was £47.92, and by the end was down to £40.24 (*).

(*) plus £4 shipping
modrevolve
Nutshell

Post by modrevolve »

Same here.. Amazon will honor the lowest price between now and the day of release.