Is there any way of watching series 4 in colour?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Is there any way of watching series 4 in colour?

Post by mousemeat »

interesting picts..of the pair, over the course of her time on the series...my fave of this bunch ? relaxing in the boat..and by looking at all of these wonderful pictures, you can tell their friendship, went beyond the episode(s) or series...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, they adored each other.

As for the boat picture - has there ever been a more idyllic day at work for anyone?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Franky, I would concur with your assessment..about being idyllic...it certainly is...and a great pict!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Not that I am an expert, but filming in colour isn't just b/w with colour film. The lighting and all has to be different. Take a look at The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse again with this in mind the colours are different. Apparently the whole lighting has to be done different for it too look right on screen.
However good colourisation might ever get, it will probably never look as it should since it wasn't filmed for colour.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

very good points, Allard...indeed b/w or 'monochrome' filming is a whole other kettle of fish, in terms of lighting, etc..even type of clothes, can affect how they appear in the footages..good point, being the adventures of Superman ( 1951-1957) first two seasons were b/w ,and if you noticed,
Superman's costume , has a different look in those footages, as they were supposed to be red and blue...but in b/w, he wore a light brownish costume, as it came off much better...of course, when they went to color , his ' uniform' went to a very dark & rich blue, etc

the lighting for b/w and color is different, etc.. including shadows...of course, the early attempts at colorization , did not look natural...and hence protests from purists ..Ted Turner, was the ring leader in doing this, when he bought MGM / UA, and was trying to add color to the b/w films
to show on his cable channel....with the arrival of A.I. , and better software, the whole coloring process, does indeed look much better, even life like..but still, it's b/w, and in my opinion, should be left alone...
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I found a very bizarrely partially colorized piece from A Touch of Brimstone:

B&W film does different things than color, that is for sure. The lighting is often different, but the film stocks are also quite different. Have you ever noticed that many older films look somewhat soft in terms of their focus? They had different sets of emulsions built up to react to separate color spectrum. Technicolor in the old fashioned genuine type of classic Hollywood was very much like that. Eventually they got better, but in the 60's B&W was quite sharp, and most color was a little soft.

The first colorizations that were done in the 80's are a travesty, because they were basically putting color on top of the image.

I think that one of the positive uses of AI will be that eventually they will be able to make most old B&W footage look like it was shot in color. I like the B&W for old stuff, but
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

...but what?
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

but what ? ahh, the eternal question, puzzling human kind, as we head towards the 22nd century...

Myself, I like the original b/w -or- monochrome episodes-slash-productions. the early coloring, as done by Ted Turner, was ghastly...never looked
right..recent improvements by AI, or at least by film editors, who have a basic understanding of depth perception, etc..has improved with certain
episodes getting the ' treatment '....I suspect, it will eventually get perfected...but at least for me, I'll stick to the original b/w episodes...they just
look better...Now some of those early color episodes, have faded over the years, I don't have a problem with say, studio canal, etc..going in and re coloring, those shows..heck, the initial DVD of the Tara era, were bad...poor chroma, negative damage, etc...of course, I have zero interest in
seeing color episodes, re done in B/W...
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I think that one of the positive uses of AI will be that eventually they will be able to make most old B&W footage look like it was shot in color. I like the B&W for old stuff, but
.... but I could enjoy a well done, high quality color version!

One thing about early TV color. Some folks felt like it was lit too flatly for their taste. It was done to maximize the look of color on the new tv sets. I like that look, and certainly my recent look at the Emma and Tara Blu's from Imprint has me happy!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Borgus Weems wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:52 pm One thing about early TV color. Some folks felt like it was lit too flatly for their taste. It was done to maximize the look of color on the new tv sets. I like that look, and certainly my recent look at the Emma and Tara Blu's from Imprint has me happy!
Just tell me "they have never looked better" and I'll be happy as well. I haven't watched them yet as I'm still on Cathy...