The Lost Episodes - New Releases

Discussion of Big Finish Avengers releases including The Lost Episodes and Steed and Mrs Peel.
Spaceship Dispatcher
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Spaceship Dispatcher »

Interesting idea, and I would certainly carry on with them based on what I have heard so far, but there's a long way to go yet with the reconstructions...
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

In July 2016 scheduled the release the sixth volume of audio series "The Avengers: the Lost Episodes". Volume will contain the following episodes: "The Frighteners", "Death on the Slipway " and "Tunnel of Fear".

Cover of sixth volume.

Seventh volume, the last in this audio series, is scheduled for release in January 2017.
Denis
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

denis rigg wrote:In July 2016 scheduled the release the sixth volume of audio series "The Avengers: the Lost Episodes". Volume will contain the following episodes: "The Frighteners", "Death on the Slipway " and "Tunnel of Fear".
All three were hugely enjoyable, although I found 'Death on the Slipway' some what confusing initially. A quick read through of a detailed synopsis of the story on line and a relisten and things became much clearer. For reasons of my own I found 'Tunnel of Fear' utterly fascinating. Roll on Jan 2017 for the final box set release, although I'll be sad that these 'Lost Episodes' will have come to their natural conclusion.
Spaceship Dispatcher

Avengerholic wrote:
denis rigg wrote:In July 2016 scheduled the release the sixth volume of audio series "The Avengers: the Lost Episodes". Volume will contain the following episodes: "The Frighteners", "Death on the Slipway " and "Tunnel of Fear".
All three were hugely enjoyable, although I found 'Death on the Slipway' some what confusing initially. A quick read through of a detailed synopsis of the story on line and a relisten and things became much clearer. For reasons of my own I found 'Tunnel of Fear' utterly fascinating. Roll on Jan 2017 for the final box set release, although I'll be sad that these 'Lost Episodes' will have come to their natural conclusion.
There's a couple of episodes where I had to read the relevant sections of The Curious Case of the Missing Episodes to work out what was going on, but I'm happier that the writers did stick to the original style of scene construction and not change too much to accommodate the different medium. Once you start changing things to make them sound like regular audio dramas, where would the line be? Like you, I have found the whole series hugely enjoyable!
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote: There's a couple of episodes where I had to read the relevant sections of The Curious Case of the Missing Episodes to work out what was going on
I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me, as I became extremely frustrated with myself at one point. Steed talking with a foreign accent in one episode was another occasion when I was thrown completely off track.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Avengerholic wrote: I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me, as I became extremely frustrated with myself at one point. Steed talking with a foreign accent in one episode was another occasion when I was thrown completely off track.
I was in the studio for the recording of that episode, and even though I could see Julian Wadham from the recording area, I thought it was obvious that this could well be confusing on audio. I half expected the director to suggest toning the Aussie accent down, but that didn't happen.

Of course with the original, even if Macnee was delivering his lines with an accent (and I'm not entirely convinced that he would have been doing so), the viewing audience had Macnee there on-screen to make it clear that that cod-Australian was Steed...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Alan wrote:I was in the studio for the recording of that episode, and even though I could see Julian Wadham from the recording area, I thought it was obvious that this could well be confusing on audio. I half expected the director to suggest toning the Aussie accent down, but that didn't happen.

Of course with the original, even if Macnee was delivering his lines with an accent (and I'm not entirely convinced that he would have been doing so), the viewing audience had Macnee there on-screen to make it clear that that cod-Australian was Steed...
I have to say I was completely baffled at first and did think to myself later, had you seen able to see him then the confusion wouldn't have occurred. A minor flaw really in what is such a brilliant audio series.
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Reading the Big Finish webste, I see that the final three episodes have been recorded:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-av ... t-episodes

I've absolutely loved this series, so can wait for January to complete the collecton. I must admit that I hoped they might continue with some new adventures for Steed and Keel, maybe with Carol playing a bigger role too, but from the article that seems unlikely.
Paul
Spaceship Dispatcher

Never rule things out with Big Finish, they keep things under their hats very well. More than once in the past they have said "absolutely no plans, definitely not happening" only a couple of months before announcing the exact same thing. It's all to do with preserving confidentiality during rights negotiations, and I would rather not have news but get the audios rather than vice versa. So I'm not giving up hope of a 'series 1B' range...
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:Never rule things out with Big Finish, they keep things under their hats very well. More than once in the past they have said "absolutely no plans, definitely not happening" only a couple of months before announcing the exact same thing. It's all to do with preserving confidentiality during rights negotiations, and I would rather not have news but get the audios rather than vice versa. So I'm not giving up hope of a 'series 1B' range...
Good points. Hopefully we will get a series 1B. Although I've kind of enjoyed Big Finish's Steed and Mrs Peel series, it's Steed and Dr Keel I really want to hear more of. There's so much scope for bridging the gap between seasons one and two. Possibly with Carol playing a bigger role and, maybe, the appearance of Dr King in a several stories (as a colleague of Dr Keel's).
Paul