the movie.

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

I think it was made for one of the american channels like home box office or could have been shown on the Sky movies channel as they used to show a lot of these kind of mini behind the scenes programmes around that time.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Big Bear wrote:I think it was made for one of the american channels like home box office or could have been shown on the Sky movies channel as they used to show a lot of these kind of mini behind the scenes programmes around that time.
been searching for this ..and so far, have come up with nothing...sounds like something like that, was produced for say, Cinemax or show time....it would be cool if warners would license it out to Criterion, and they in turn, could locate say, any missing footages, along with any special programming, also with new upgraded interviews, etc...it could put a whole different spin on this ill fated film..
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Watched this again for the first time in years and - goodness help us! - my wife and I still think that it's a lot of fun. Sure, there's vast chunks missing from the release version which would have helped the set-pieces fit together in a vaguely coherent way... but it looks wonderful in terms of design and lighting, the direction has that surreal off-kilter quality, the new interpretations of the old favourites were engaging, the music was rich and enjoyable.... and we do still find it very, very enjoyable.

All the best

Andrew
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I have a soft spot for it, too. It's marvellously designed, it's just a shame that a movie would never have the time to develop the chemistry between two leads the way a TV series can - especially actors of the calibre of Hendry, Macnee, Blackman, Rigg and Thorson (etc). The Avengers became Patrick Macnee and his absence is felt (the voice over cameo doesn't really cut it). Keeley Hawes as Tamara would've made a better co-star than Uma Thurman. As a kind of fantasy comic strip film, I'd rather watch it than anything from the current "Marvel universe". Though Dr Strange (the first one) was quite good fun.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I have a soft spot for it, too. It's marvellously designed, it's just a shame that a movie would never have the time to develop the chemistry between two leads the way a TV series can - especially actors of the calibre of Hendry, Macnee, Blackman, Rigg and Thorson (etc). The Avengers became Patrick Macnee and his absence is felt (the voice over cameo doesn't really cut it). Keeley Hawes as Tamara would've made a better co-star than Uma Thurman. As a kind of fantasy comic strip film, I'd rather watch it than anything from the current "Marvel universe". Though Dr Strange (the first one) was quite good fun.
the film had good intentions...even Patrick was happy to be apart of it, at the time..but thru poor editing, lackluster promotion..it was in trouble....in the U.S. the film was released with ZERO press screenings. That is a sign that the studio, was prepared to cut their losses and cast fate to the wind....of course, it was attacked by both fans and the press....and the chemistry between Steed and Mrs.Peel, was clearly missing.....some time later, Warners gave it a very a very bare bones release...and not soon afterwards, went out of print.

for years, there were numerous rumors of huge chunks of film, edited out...and a few years ago, the director, offered for FREE, to RE CUT the film, and edit in the missing footages....but Warner Bros, doesn't seem to have any interest in doing so.....sorta a shame...one can only hope some one like Criterion, Shout Factory, sony pictures classics, etc...can put the film out...where it can be re judged by fans such as ourselves, and lock on to a new generation of cinema fans..but I wouldn't count on it...
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I always loved it. Visually at least it's stunning.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Avengerholic wrote:I always loved it. Visually at least it's stunning.

that much, it is....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: the movie.

Post by Frankymole »

A new review:

Last watched: "Mandrake"
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for all it's faults, visually the movie is an absolute treat.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Avengerholic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:22 am I've said it before and I'll say it again, for all it's faults, visually the movie is an absolute treat.
Isn't it just! :)

All the best

Andrew