No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

denis wrote:10, with Caroline Munro !
Agree 100% with'' denis '' The other Avenger Girls tackling female rivals doesn't quite have the excitement of Purdey in action against another woman, particularly women of the calibre of Caroline Munro 8) Girls like gorgeous gymnast Suzanne Dando or the stunning Olympic Swimmer Sharron Davies are the kind we should have seen a lot more of in The New Avengers 8) Who wouldn't love to see Joanna Lumley's Purdey in action with such as these athletic stunners . e 8) Surely they could have played the roles of Steed's niece and Gambits girl ! We could also have been introduced to The Russian Countess :D Not enough 'Angels of Death'/Female villains to put Purdey through her paces :cry:
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

denis wrote:10, with Caroline Munro !
Caroline Munro certainly spiced up The New Avengers....the way Joanna Lumley says 'Down boy ! to Gambit is so sexy and her ' More my style !' certainly lets us know Purdey knows Gambit's thoughts rather well and enjoys stepping into action against women who can put Gambit on the floor :) I find it rather unusual that this is Purdey's only tussle with female rivals , and also that she is scripted to take them down much too easily ! Purdey is shown as invulnerable against her female rivals and dismissing a woman as strong and athletic as Caroline Munro, so easily, makes her look rather fake !
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Another great episode! Tied with Medium Rare and Dead Men Are Dangerous for top three TNA episodes, in my opinion.

We see a number of things in Angels of Death:
1. Steed's intuition/spider sense, when he bumps into the agent in the hallway and decides to investigate the spa himself. There seems at times that Steed has a good sense of danger, which has helped, with his own cunning and luck, to keep him alive over the years. Seeing him just know he had to go to the spa, instead of the other agent, made us realize Steed's brain/intuition was working fine and he was figuring things out, in his brilliant silent way.

2. Since we see Steed cut a nice rhythmic rock and roll leg in "Mousetrap", getting the youngsters to turn the music off as a result and do smooth, easy ballroom dancing in "Quick Quick Slow Death" as well, it would have been fun to have seen him in the party scene. But, I'm not surprised they skipped over that. At least we have the relaxed Steed under the heat lamp stating the in joke of him liking the Southern California heat the best, since by then Macnee was living in the toasty Rancho Mirage, CA.

3. A nicely drugged Steed still figuring out how to hide the camera with his jacket, and kick a gun out of a hand, is mighty fine to look at!

4. I feel it is clearly obvious Purdey was going to tell Steed she loved him when they are in the maze together. Nota bene: they are not side by side with the walls closing, giving them a few extra second of life, but face to face, causing the crushing to happen earlier, but at least they are crushed against each other. Also Nota Bene: As soon as Gambit releases the wall mechanism, Purdey and Steed rapidly exit together leaving Gambit alone, pretty much talking to himself. Yeah, that message is really clear!!!

Fun episode with a great Steed based plot; how can it be better than that?
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Mona wrote:Another great episode! Tied with Medium Rare and Dead Men Are Dangerous for top three TNA episodes, in my opinion.

We see a number of things in Angels of Death:
1. Steed's intuition/spider sense, when he bumps into the agent in the hallway and decides to investigate the spa himself. There seems at times that Steed has a good sense of danger, which has helped, with his own cunning and luck, to keep him alive over the years. Seeing him just know he had to go to the spa, instead of the other agent, made us realize Steed's brain/intuition was working fine and he was figuring things out, in his brilliant silent way.

2. Since we see Steed cut a nice rhythmic rock and roll leg in "Mousetrap", getting the youngsters to turn the music off as a result and do smooth, easy ballroom dancing in "Quick Quick Slow Death" as well, it would have been fun to have seen him in the party scene. But, I'm not surprised they skipped over that. At least we have the relaxed Steed under the heat lamp stating the in joke of him liking the Southern California heat the best, since by then Macnee was living in the toasty Rancho Mirage, CA.

3. A nicely drugged Steed still figuring out how to hide the camera with his jacket, and kick a gun out of a hand, is mighty fine to look at!

4. I feel it is clearly obvious Purdey was going to tell Steed she loved him when they are in the maze together. Nota bene: they are not side by side with the walls closing, giving them a few extra second of life, but face to face, causing the crushing to happen earlier, but at least they are crushed against each other. Also Nota Bene: As soon as Gambit releases the wall mechanism, Purdey and Steed rapidly exit together leaving Gambit alone, pretty much talking to himself. Yeah, that message is really clear!!!

Fun episode with a great Steed based plot; how can it be better than that?
'message really clear ? Purdey not really fancying or interested in Gambit but was Gambit interested in Purdey considering the way he was enjoying Purdey being tested in her fight with the Angels of Death ? Purdey did seem a little jealous of Gambit's conquests though and wondered was she out to bed Steed to show she could match Emma Peel in the sack ? She certainly liked to show Gambit she could handle any female in a fight and liked to give the impression (Last of the Cybernauts) that it included Emma Peel ?
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

shaunodan wrote:
'message really clear ? Purdey not really fancying or interested in Gambit but was Gambit interested in Purdey considering the way he was enjoying Purdey being tested in her fight with the Angels of Death ? Purdey did seem a little jealous of Gambit's conquests though and wondered was she out to bed Steed to show she could match Emma Peel in the sack ? She certainly liked to show Gambit she could handle any female in a fight and liked to give the impression (Last of the Cybernauts) that it included Emma Peel ?[/quote]

Gambit clearly was interested in having sex with Purdey. Steed was interested in respecting her as a woman, as an agent, and in fact, while Purdey was obviously trying to get Steed to be her lover, he resisted, no doubt, to not hurt her emotionally.

I doubt Purdey was trying to figure out if she could "match Emma in the sack." Purdey really cared for Steed, seems to have loved him (if not in love with him), and was attracted to him. I think being a healthy woman, having a sexual relationship with him was feasible and desired, but not in some disgusting competition with his lost love, but in a higher connection and in her own way.

I don't see Purdey in any way you do. I don't see her as having to one-up anyone, or have Gambit's approval of her. I think she is an intelligent woman, a good agent, and a bit traumatized from her past love. She holds the highest regard for Steed, and playfully avoids Gambit's desire to use as a sex object (and then no doubt discard her). She is an accomplished woman. Her attitude towards Emma Peel, as I see it, is that while Purdey loves Steed, Steed's heart will always love Emma, and to her regret, Purdey cannot replace Emma fully in Steed's heart and fully take her place.

Steed has matured in TNA series. He is more thoughtful of his relationship with Purdey and absolutely does not want to ever hurt her. He really is a gentleman.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk