Epic

Post by Rhonda »

8 for me
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
NickP
Little Wonder

Post by NickP »

Above average but not top flight I thought, and that seems to be the consensus in the poll. I'm getting a little tired of the Steed as traitor theme.

Sue Holderness and Mervyn Johns on the same cast was quite a surprise.
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

yes I think they went through that phase on TNA but realized it did not work as well. So I think they went back to the original formula that worked better.
This one was very average. I think there were a lot that were better.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Some of Purdey's most famed poses come from it :?: Anyone got photos of Purdey in the outfit she wears in it -cloak and long beige boots :?:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

NickP wrote: Sue Holderness and Mervyn Johns on the same cast was quite a surprise.
Did they not get on, or something?
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Lhbizness

Post by Lhbizness »

Although I too get tired of the "Steed's a traitor!" plot - lazy writing, really - I enjoy this one for other reasons. The "medium" angle is very clever and seems well-thought-out, and on first viewing I didn't get it all right away. I like all the conversations that Steed and Purdey have with Victoria, with a combination of disbelief and slow realization that she actually seems to know something. Jon Finch, meanwhile, is a fun villain to watch and doesn't overplay his part. Beyond the predictable plot of Steed being a traitor but not really, overused in TNA, the episode has other things to recommend it.

Personally, I like that Steed gets a larger and more integral part at least in the early part of Season 2 (even if the whole falls apart in the last episodes).
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Lhbizness wrote:Although I too get tired of the "Steed's a traitor!" plot - lazy writing, really - I enjoy this one for other reasons. The "medium" angle is very clever and seems well-thought-out, and on first viewing I didn't get it all right away. I like all the conversations that Steed and Purdey have with Victoria, with a combination of disbelief and slow realization that she actually seems to know something. Jon Finch, meanwhile, is a fun villain to watch and doesn't overplay his part. Beyond the predictable plot of Steed being a traitor but not really, overused in TNA, the episode has other things to recommend it.

Personally, I like that Steed gets a larger and more integral part at least in the early part of Season 2 (even if the whole falls apart in the last episodes).
This is a great episode--interesting, unique and funny. Yes, we do have the "Steed is considered a traitor" plot line to excess, absolutely, but on the other hand there is enough else in this episode to make up for that trite originating storyline.

We see Purdey pretty much living at Steed's house, hanging out there at all hours, including later at night, when Steed decides to sneak out, get past the guard, and gather the data he needs to prove his innocence.

Btw, the odd setting of Steed's home, with the half stairway leading up, apparently to the second floor, not even what 6 or so feet above the ground floor, is pretty ridiculous.

These second season episodes, when Pat had lost weight, and was the focus of the plots, was a highlight season of the Avengers canon.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Mona wrote: This is a great episode--interesting, unique and funny...
Couldn't agree more and I'm sure it has a great musical backing too.
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
Lee
Little Wonder

Post by Lee »

Hmmm

This is curious little piece.

In some ways it is very entertaining: the idea of a medium receiving messages, the set-up of Steed, the boss dressing up as different characters to receive all the money. I know others here are talking about the set- up of Steed yet again, however this time it doesn't bother me because it is to throw him off the investigation and cast suspicion over his actions, but as others have said, perhaps too much of a recurring theme that Steed goes traitor.

There seemed to be very little consistency in Steed's superiors on TNA - compare to the consistency of one-ten in the earlier years and Mother latterly - perhaps it was a vehicle for them all the to traitors and give plot lines.

I'm not sure about Steed being found by the medium so quickly: I thought a secret agent should be harder to find, particularly if you haven't meet them before. Additionally , why couldn't Gambit hear the words coming down the pipes when he was watching the medium having her 'vision' in her apartment? A few plot holes there to me.

Overall, I gave this a 6.
You really must have a word with that cleaning lady....