6%
11%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 18

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Cathy is already deep in Steed's Department and acting as the first female James Bond 007 before Sean Connery has really got his feet under the table. Charles, Steed's boss, orders her to kill Steed. She needs no other licence. This is brutal stuff, utterly riveting when watching the series in order - nothing like this has happened before. I'm glad the genius behind Callan got to develop Cathy and indeed the whole organisation in this way, bringing a much-needed dose of pseudo-realism in amongst the spy-fi, to make it feel dangerous again.

Best reaction in it:

Gordon (pretending to be keen on settling down to married life with his "cover" girlfriend, but in reality knowing Steed is about to go off and be killed): "What I'm looking for, Steed, is security."

Steed (breaks into a self-reflective resigned chuckle, clearly thinking of his never-ending arduous job of trying to preserve national security): "Aren't we all?"
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

great episode..in fact, I think it's my favorite Gale ..good dialogue ..etc
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

In the final scene it hits you over the head with perfect line after perfect line. "Am I the same Steed you knew over a year ago?"; "What's for breakfast?" "Cook it and find out"; "Doppelganger is as doppelganger does, that's what I always say". Wonderful Steed/Cathy scene. Great actors, great writing, great plot. No wonder the Avengers went on to be a TV classic, as did Callan, in the hands of such expert dramatists.

There's realpolitik too as the literal "double agent" ends up being allowed to continue to operate and even marry an English girl... spied on by the Department of course.

10/10.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I love this bit in the script. "Adjust as necessary". Where the real flair of the actors and director joins the writer, as the cameras record the raw emotion and adrenaline of an "as live" recording. They don't make 'em like that any more.

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:In the final scene it hits you over the head with perfect line after perfect line. "Am I the same Steed you knew over a year ago?"; "What's for breakfast?" "Cook it and find out"; "Doppelganger is as doppelganger does, that's what I always say". Wonderful Steed/Cathy scene. Great actors, great writing, great plot. No wonder the Avengers went on to be a TV classic, as did Callan, in the hands of such expert dramatists.

There's realpolitik too as the literal "double agent" ends up being allowed to continue to operate and even marry an English girl... spied on by the Department of course.

10/10.

cripes, i couldn't stated it any better....snappy dialogue ...and more
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

We still wonder what Steed whispers to Cathy to prove he's the "real Steed" - long before the "Are you the man who dallies with me?" Forget-Me-Knot sequence. They both laugh, but is it relief at reaching the end of the studio recording session, or some naughty joke? We will never know.
Frankymole

Re: 3.06 - Man With Two Shadows

Post by Frankymole »

One of the earliest "doppelganger" episodes. I quite enjoyed it on a recent rewatch.