Essential Avengers magazines

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I've got the second annual. I've never seen the TV Times Souvenir Extra "in the flesh", sadly! I did see the New Avengers novelisations, as a teenager, but they were disdained by me as "too recent" and I passed over them in favour of James Bond novels (what an idiot I was - I also passed over the Saint books, which are utterly brilliant - however I read chunks of them in the second-hand book shop and was intrigued enough by the "period" 1930s settings, so they did stick in my mind and eventually ensnare me). The scary thing is that "The New Avengers" now is nearly 40 years ago, as old as the 1930s Saint books were to me in the 1970s.

But style - and great writing - never really ages. I'm sure someone in the 1880s was moaning how Dumas was a big part of the reading of his youth -and he still outsells many modern authors.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Mike's Gambit
Nutshell

Post by Mike's Gambit »

Frankymole: I used to have the second annual but, in a moment of weakness, I traded it for some Saint memorabilia. Thought I'd have no trouble finding another but as yet still no sign. I don't have online accounts so ebay is out. Must wake up and join the 21st Century!!
I have a huge collection of Saint memorabilia which stemmed from privately collecting anything on Roger Moore. That started in 1979, but slowly the collection veered towards The Saint so included were the Ian Ogilvy, Simon Dutton, Val Kilmer (God help us) and the earlier incarnations - George Sanders, Louis Hayward and Hugh Sinclair to name a few. I have just over 170 novels and not just UK versions but US, French and Dutch titles.
Was never a fan of the Bond novels and to this day have still not read one cover to cover!

cyberrich: Isn't part of that Hunt/Lumley screen test seen in the opening titles? I'd love to have seen Collins' Gambit audition too. Wow!! There must be some photos somewhere.
"Brown hyphen Fitcth. Is the Fitcth spelt with a small F or a big one?"
"A big F."
"It suits you."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Mike's Gambit wrote: cyberrich: Isn't part of that Hunt/Lumley screen test seen in the opening titles?
Yes it is. The scene where Joanna has longer hair is from the screen test, before she opted for that famous Purdey cut.
shaunodan
Winged Avenger

Post by shaunodan »

Ian Wegg wrote:I'm not sure about Action TV but the significant Avengers articles in Time Screen are these:

Issue 2:
The Cybernaught Analysis
Albert Fennell – A tribute by Dave Rogers
TNA episode guide by Andrew Pixley
General article on Christmas episodes (include “Too Many Christmas Trees”)

Issue 8: Avengers Cars

Image Image Image Image

Issue 13: “A Day In Avengerland” – location guide
Issue 19: List of the work of Brian Clemens
Issue 20: Interview / obituary Tony Williamson
Issue 21: Telefantasy in comics (includes Avengers)

They often appear on eBay at fairly reasonable prices.
Purdey certainly looks Top Avenger Girl here
~iw
:o
cyberrich
Site Admin

Re: Essential Avengers magazines

Post by cyberrich »

I've just noticed that a seller has listed this on ebay today for £25 which is a good price for this rare booklet. I bought this years ago for only a bit less. It doesn't turn up that often. I hope this finds a good home!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:55 pm Image

I've just noticed that a seller has listed this on ebay today for £25 which is a good price for this rare booklet. I bought this years ago for only a bit less. It doesn't turn up that often. I hope this finds a good home!
That does look lovely. Do you know if there were scans of a copy of the magazine on any DVD/Bluray sets or bonus disks? I'd be terrified of reading the hard copy and damaging it.
Last edited by Frankymole on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

it sorta looks like one of the many U.S. publications ..like 'Dell' that came out with material like this...but I'm pretty sure this
came out of the UK...with a early pict of Patrick and Honor...
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Yes it's a UK booklet from 1963 and the price on the cover is 2/6. Costs a lot more these days! There's 40 pages inside with lots of b/w shots of Patrick and Honor on set. There wasn't much merchandise for the Cathy Gale era. I only know of this and the paperback novel. This booklet actually sold a few minutes after I posted this on here! There's a pdf available at the following site. http://deadline.theavengers.tv/meet_front.html
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

thanks for the update and the info....great piece of cinema / TV history...and it recently sold ? I'm sure it didn't go cheaply
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:33 am thanks for the update and the info....great piece of cinema / TV history...and it recently sold ? I'm sure it didn't go cheaply
I bought it :D

Thanks, cyberrich.

I saved off the photos from the Ebay listing if anyone needs them.