Avengers Books

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
robmyers
Nutshell

Post by robmyers »

I finished "Deadline", which I really enjoyed. Either the characterisations settled down as the story went on or I just wasn't used to reading the characters rather than seeing them on the screen. :-)

I've ordered "Dead Duck" now.
bekius55
White Dwarf

Post by bekius55 »

robmyers wrote:I've decided to start reading Avengers tie-in fiction. I survived the Prisoner novels. :D

Is the John Steed biography any good? I'm very tempted, something about the idea just tickles me, but the prices I'm seeing are a bit off-putting.
Here's one on ebay, looks quite cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0554428961
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

bekius55 wrote: Here's one on ebay, looks quite cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0554428961
thanks for the info!
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Cybernowt »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There is a very nice Yahoo group called 'The Forget Me Notes' that reproduces Avengers comic pages.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/The-Forget-Me-Notes/
The group has been very quiet of late it seems, but a newly compiled Steed and Tara strip has gone up today, "Crime Of The Century." From June/August 1969.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Woohoo! I just won the two "New Avengers" annuals on Ebay tonight. Just wanted to share my good news :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I've got the 13 official Avengers novels. Dead duck is definitely the best of these. Deadline is also good. The other novels were a patchy mixture, some ok, some not, but none really capturing the mood of the series. Dead duck is the one novel that manages to do this.
The saga of happy valley by Geoff Barlow, while not an official paperback, nonetheless is better than most of the 60s novels, in terms of real Avengering. The 3 Mrs Peel Stay Tuned novelettes were also the real deal.
Does anyone recommend any other unofficial Avengers stories that are worth looking out for :?: Rich.
supersimon
Thingumajig

Post by supersimon »

Frankymole - would it be rude to ask how much you paid?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

supersimon wrote:Frankymole - would it be rude to ask how much you paid?
£3.09 for the 1977 annual (unclipped, albeit with crossword filled in - I don't do them anyway) and £4.99 for the 1978 one (unclipped and with blank crossword).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I was lucky to win Meet The Avengers (the 1963 mag) on ebay for £20 a few years ago. I think it's worth over £100. It might be the rarest Avengers book I have.
In The Avengers Files (A. Pixley) he has listed a publication called The Avengers by Mick Anglo (1966). I've never heard of this one. Does anyone have it and what do you think?
I've got all the novels, except John Steed-an authorised biography? Is this worth looking out for?
As for fanzines I've managed to acquire all the Dave Rogers ones. There was a short lived fanzine called Bizarre. A newspaper in the 80s called With umbrella, charm and bowler; and En Garde, a fanzine from the late 60s. Does anyone have these and can you shed some light on them?
Thanks, Richard.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

cyberrich wrote:I was lucky to win Meet The Avengers (the 1963 mag) on ebay for £20 a few years ago. I think it's worth over £100. It might be the rarest Avengers book I have.
In The Avengers Files (A. Pixley) he has listed a publication called The Avengers by Mick Anglo (1966). I've never heard of this one. Does anyone have it and what do you think?

Richard, Mick Anglo was a comic artist famous for the Marvelman (a UK version of Captain Marvel from America) comic of the 1950s and 60s. Could this be a British version of the Gold Key Steed & Mrs Peel (itself a compilation of the weekly adventures from TV Comic)?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY