The Avengers dvd set 3 (series 4) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: well...if the EMP pulse clobbers us, then there will be no more episodes to watch...lol
Back to the film negatives and start again :D Though an EMP would wipe out the temperature control on the film vaults, so we'd have to hurry! With a clockwork torch (flashlight)...

Oh yes and we'd lose all the sound!!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Interesting topic, this reminds of how some admins sometimes inform their users about data loss. Once upon a time I was on a fashionable website Gallery.ru on the topic of "images", and at some point their hard drive broke, which they could not rehabilitate (the popularity of the site immediately fell). But the most frightening thing can be with your personal hard drive or hosting, where your site is located. Moreover, as for the second, your site may fall due to such a seemingly simple situation as replacing hard drives with people from the hosting. They begin to change and at some point something may break.
Denis
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

denis rigg wrote:Interesting topic, this reminds of how some admins sometimes inform their users about data loss. Once upon a time I was on a fashionable website Gallery.ru on the topic of "images", and at some point their hard drive broke, which they could not rehabilitate (the popularity of the site immediately fell). But the most frightening thing can be with your personal hard drive or hosting, where your site is located. Moreover, as for the second, your site may fall due to such a seemingly simple situation as replacing hard drives with people from the hosting. They begin to change and at some point something may break.
I'm on some Blakes 7 groups and sites, which (since it is a 1970s-80s show) go back to the beginning of the internet. Being a TV show, lots of the sites were image-heavy with some irreplaceable photos and images not least from fan gatherings, but also proper art, together with manipulated photos/memes and the like. And some witty and erudite essays and reviews, some from fans who have since passed away. Sadly, the electronic "Dark Age" (that doesn't apply to books) has robbed us of many of these works and pages, the WayBack Machine is not very good at storing images or "sub-pages" beyond a main site.

I hope the Avengers sites may fare better, but it seems very hard to back them up safely.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:Interesting topic, this reminds of how some admins sometimes inform their users about data loss. Once upon a time I was on a fashionable website Gallery.ru on the topic of "images", and at some point their hard drive broke, which they could not rehabilitate (the popularity of the site immediately fell). But the most frightening thing can be with your personal hard drive or hosting, where your site is located. Moreover, as for the second, your site may fall due to such a seemingly simple situation as replacing hard drives with people from the hosting. They begin to change and at some point something may break.
bottom line...nothing is forever...lol......One thing I do admire...is how crisp b/w picts from the 40's, etc...still look....unlike similar color photos..which tend to bleed and get murky looking...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

mousemeat wrote: bottom line...nothing is forever...lol......One thing I do admire...is how crisp b/w picts from the 40's, etc...still look....unlike similar color photos..which tend to bleed and get murky looking...
Yes, monochrome is much more stable. At least in the pre-digital age. Hence preferred for technical studies. I enjoy watching monochrome films more, for similar reasons of clarity and "immediacy". After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
mousemeat wrote: bottom line...nothing is forever...lol......One thing I do admire...is how crisp b/w picts from the 40's, etc...still look....unlike similar color photos..which tend to bleed and get murky looking...
Yes, monochrome is much more stable. At least in the pre-digital age. Hence preferred for technical studies. I enjoy watching monochrome films more, for similar reasons of clarity and "immediacy". After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.

I couldn't have said this, any better...and I'm a huge b/w fan....
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Frankymole wrote:After a short time my brain just ignores the lack of colour, like it ignores the lack of three dimensions, the edge of a frame, smell, touch and other senses... I'm dumbfounded that some young people can't get over the lack of colour, when all the riches of sight and sound are on display.
It isn't only young people. From the mid-seventies onwards my mother has refused to watch anything in not in colour, her reasoning being that she didn't spend all that money on a colour set to watch in black & white. It caused a few family arguments over the years.

Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Ian Wegg wrote: Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.
Maybe why it was more popular in the cinema, at least for a time, than on TV. I think the only 3D thing I saw was the Dr Who 50th anniversary story in 2013, on the big screen. It was okay but I don't feel I missed much watching it in 2D subsequently.

I remember someone saying that watching English football (soccer) in 3D on the telly looked like miniature men on a table kicking a small pea around!
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote: Interesting point about the frame, hardly anybody mentions that. All attempts to introduce 3D television have failed because of it - 3D can never work unless you can get the picture to fill your entire field of vision, it seems strange to me that few people seem to realise that.
Maybe why it was more popular in the cinema, at least for a time, than on TV. I think the only 3D thing I saw was the Dr Who 50th anniversary story in 2013, on the big screen. It was okay but I don't feel I missed much watching it in 2D subsequently.

I remember someone saying that watching English football (soccer) in 3D on the telly looked like miniature men on a table kicking a small pea around!
I remember in the 50's, when some films came out in 3D....like ' god' and ' It came from Outer Space ' " house of wax '....overall, it didn't look all that bad...many complaint was wearing those darned glasses....and of course, some theaters didn't quite get the projection process quite right
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I remember reading about "It Came From Outer Space" in 3D, in the early 70s, wished I could've seen it that way as I quite liked the film.