Subversive Champagne

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

It is now the updated version, yes.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Great. Are the Tara and New Avengers books available in different editions, or have they remained un-modified throughout their published life?
Last watched: "Build a Better Mousetrap"
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

They haven't and won't be changed. The collective studies have taken over my life!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

I received a lovely piece of feedback this weekend from a reader, Phil Capp:

"I wanted to congratulate you on Bright Horizons which I have just completed. Unbelievable that it's almost 50 years since I latched on to this incredible series, and great that it still generates works like yours after all this time.

I have always been hard to please as far as TV drama is concerned, so the effect that The Avengers had on me was unprecedented and has never been repeated by any other series. I think your assessment of the series being beyond genre is entirely accurate, and probably explains the fascination. The crazy plots, the mystery element, the whole Avengerland vibe, the bond between the lead actors and their characterizations, the high production standards, Laurie Johnson's music - theme and incidental; each one of these factors adds a dimension to an incredible whole.

As a fan it is hard to be objective about this, but I am genuinely of the opinion that the series could work today. It would be the perfect antidote to the "procedurals" that now dominate the 50-minute drama slots, and the popularity of the likes of Midsummer Murders and Jonathan Creek show that the juxtaposition of mayhem behind the façade of English correctness is still a concept that works well, and is popular. Lead characters that have a chemistry will always work - especially when the sex angle is left to the audience's imagination - and likewise eccentricity amongst the supporting characters, especially as far as the antagonist is concerned.

But enough of my rambling....good luck with the later publications - I can't wait - indeed, do you have a timescale for Mrs Peel we're needed and Anticlockwise?
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

That's a lovely review! Thanks for passing it along, Rodney. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

Rodders wrote:I received a lovely piece of feedback this weekend from a reader, Phil Capp:

"I wanted to congratulate you on Bright Horizons which I have just completed. Unbelievable that it's almost 50 years since I latched on to this incredible series, and great that it still generates works like yours after all this time.

I have always been hard to please as far as TV drama is concerned, so the effect that The Avengers had on me was unprecedented and has never been repeated by any other series. I think your assessment of the series being beyond genre is entirely accurate, and probably explains the fascination. The crazy plots, the mystery element, the whole Avengerland vibe, the bond between the lead actors and their characterizations, the high production standards, Laurie Johnson's music - theme and incidental; each one of these factors adds a dimension to an incredible whole.

As a fan it is hard to be objective about this, but I am genuinely of the opinion that the series could work today. It would be the perfect antidote to the "procedurals" that now dominate the 50-minute drama slots, and the popularity of the likes of Midsummer Murders and Jonathan Creek show that the juxtaposition of mayhem behind the façade of English correctness is still a concept that works well, and is popular. Lead characters that have a chemistry will always work - especially when the sex angle is left to the audience's imagination - and likewise eccentricity amongst the supporting characters, especially as far as the antagonist is concerned.

But enough of my rambling....good luck with the later publications - I can't wait - indeed, do you have a timescale for Mrs Peel we're needed and Anticlockwise?
Very perceptive.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Following Alan's approach with his Season 1 book, Subversive Champagne is available in hardback from next week although if you have purchased a paperback edition in the last six months it is no different.
Update: now available in hardback (from Lulu) but I would reiterate that it is not worth purchasing, though, if you have bought the book in the last six months unless you 'have' to have Avengers products in hardback.