PR: Avengerworld - The Avengers in Our Lives (Charity Title)

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
mrs_emma_peel
Winged Avenger

Post by mrs_emma_peel »

How did you the choose for episodes as audio plays - favorite or ones which were would suitable for listening or episodes, which wanted to analyze specifically differently, etc? Though I guess, that first variant more likely, it is interesting to hear the process your decisions and conclusions. :D
Denis,
I recall choosing and recording the episodes from the The Viewer/TV Times programme guide descriptions and articles and press reviews - and selected what looked like the most adventurous and thrilling.

I would replay episodes on my Philips audio recorder as radio dramas and enjoyed imagining and supplying the possible internal thought processes and narration of Steed and Mrs Peel - exactly as Mrs Peel in The House That Jack Built (which I agree was perfect for radio) with The Cybernauts, A Surfeit of H2O, A Touch of Brimstone, A Sense of History, Escape in Time, The Return of the Cybernauts, The Joker and Murdersville.

Technically, I'm sure it would be possible to adapt the episodes into thrilling radio dramas :)

Miller, Alan,
Lulu have been very good and are sending me a free replacement hardback copy.
Thanks, Alan, for the heads-up on Amazon :)
James/Mrs Emma Peel
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Lulu were as good as their word, delivering a hardback copy free of charge. It looks great on the inside and out, very professional. I look forward to reading the contributions from so many people, some familiar, others not!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
miller
Nutshell

Post by miller »

Alan wrote:Good to hear that you've got a resolution, though very frustrating that you're still without the book from your original order.
I am pleased to report that the replacement book arrived after just three days in transit. Great customer service from lulu.com and the book looks great. Looking forward to reading it.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Delighted to hear that you both finally received copies - even if they were replacements!

I look forward to hearing your comments about the content. :)

All the best,

Alan
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Well I finally got to finish the book! hurray! I've been so busy with work and personal life I thought it would never happen

There's some good stuff in there. It's especially great to read accounts from people who have given back and part of the show's legacy

Nice to hear about the history of the Treasure Hunt Rally.

And JP talking about his path as the Young Avenger. I recall back in the old days when he mentioned his Invasion of The Earthmen script. How great to relive his time filming it. He's good guy who I did enjoy razzing every once in a while on the forum. He was a good sport about that

And Denis' chapter. Yes it was 30 pages long but I appreciated a chance to read how Russian fandom evolved.

Loved David Fakrikian's story with Macnee and the dust-up at his autograph signing. Kudos to Macnee putting his fans first. I fondly recall that day I got him to sign my copy of his book. It was a big hassle to get to the venue. It was at a bookstore in the most expensive part of downtown Chicago and also extremely difficult to get to. I would have been crushed if I had been turned away and furious at the poor planning of the organizers.

The afterword to me was a perfect way to end the book. Jason is a very good writer who eloquently and cleanly stated what we all feel about the show. I look forward to his book when it comes out next year
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Delighted that you enjoyed the book, Frank! Thanks for being a part of it, too! :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Jace
Thingumajig

Post by Jace »

Frank, Thank you for your kind words about the afterword! And thanks again to everyone who contributed. I'm still making my way slowly through the book and each story is such a wonderful link in our international chain of fans.
-Jason
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

There are some intriguing articles in the book. I particularly enjoyed Frank's piece about growing up, Lauren's very honest and heartfelt account of the effect The Avengers has had on her and Jaz's harrowing account of preparing for the 50th birthday of the show. Interesting slice of life snippets. It is amazing how a fantasy TV show can have such an impact on real lives.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Rodders wrote:There are some intriguing articles in the book. I particularly enjoyed Frank's piece about growing up, Lauren's very honest and heartfelt account of the effect The Avengers has had on her and Jaz's harrowing account of preparing for the 50th birthday of the show. Interesting slice of life snippets. It is amazing how a fantasy TV show can have such an impact on real lives.
Thanks Rodney, I'm glad someone found it of interest… I can understand why people might not like it as it is quite negative

I ask the most stupid questions!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Good news regarding the Avengerworld book and its charity do-gooding!

The total amount raised to date is £693.22 and the first £600 of that has paid for a water harvesting system to be installed at Chanzige Primary School in South Tanzania, the school which benefits from sales of the book via the Champion Chanzige charity.

The book itself has travelled the world: see http://www.hiddentigerbooks.co.uk/aveng ... photos.htm

And both the hardcover and paperback editions are now reduced in price, so it would be good to see that charity total rise.

Details here: http://www.hiddentigerbooks.co.uk/aveng ... harity.htm
Last edited by Alan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger