The Avengers pirate videos

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

Post by Jasper Groat »

MRotten wrote:At the time, grabbing the second to the last video was the only way to see "Death of a Great Dane", and was the only Blackman episode released in the US.
It was also doing the rounds in British trading circles thanks to a bad NTSC to PAL transfer (although it may just have been video-cammed from the US copy onto a PAL camera as this was a quick and cheap method to grab NTSC material).
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

norw27 wrote:Yikes some of those look nasty! I do love the fact that the cover for Super Secret Cypher Snatch is a picture of Diana Rigg from On Her Majesty's Secret Service!
I had quite a few of those. They rarely, if ever, had photos on the cover that matched the episode. Quality wasn't good, either, but it was the only product out there to buy until the A & E sets arrived.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

MRotten wrote:
norw27 wrote:Yikes some of those look nasty! I do love the fact that the cover for Super Secret Cypher Snatch is a picture of Diana Rigg from On Her Majesty's Secret Service!
I had quite a few of those. They rarely, if ever, had photos on the cover that matched the episode. Quality wasn't good, either, but it was the only product out there to buy until the A & E sets arrived.
some interesting covers...a few ok, many of them...horrible...as with the video quality...back in the stone age of vhs-beta tape....
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

For anyone interested, I've added a page to The Avengers Declassified on this subject...

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/wond ... censed.htm
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

Post by Jasper Groat »

Alan wrote:For anyone interested, I've added a page to The Avengers Declassified on this subject...

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/wond ... censed.htm
Ha ha. Brilliant.
I've got a better quality Degregory Silent Dust which I'll send over.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

You are a gentleman and a purveyor of prime tat. ;)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

gosh, yer right...how funny and tacky....man, some of those covers
were low budget-all-the-way...and some of the 'prints' on vhs,looked
like they were wiped down with sand paper...(LOL)

but at the time, it was pretty much the other way to see episodes
over and over....
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Despite the poor quality, the contents of some of the American pirated video cassettes are quite interesting.

For example, episode The House That Jack Built released by Bizarre Video Productions in 1981, includes two card titles "The Avengers - Commercial Break" (like Avengers episodes shot on videotape), each lasting 20 seconds.

And the early release of the episode "Dial a Deadly Number" includes intro "Avengers on Chess board". :wink:

etc...
Denis
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Jasper Groat wrote:Here are a few more I had salted away from the days I had time to spend trawling around eBay:

I remember seeing some of these..yrs ago..at the height of the VHS-Beta max era....
ischtar
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by ischtar »

OO
Last edited by ischtar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.